PDA

View Full Version : System Restore Not Responding - Why??

jayboy67
February 6th 04, 08:47 AM
My system restore continues to fail every time I try to create a restore point and it gives me the old "not responding" in the task manager. I found on symantec and someplace else that there are files that need to be re register. Do that and use it maybe 2
-3 times and back to the same thing and everytime it loses the previous restore points. What is happening and is there a permanent fix? Bugging the heck out of me. Have been throuch the reinstall via the upgrade option of XP pro and that doesn't fix. Also
been through a couple of clean reinstalls of XP and all latest drivers in early Dec and had the problem before and after. Where it really get annoying is when Win Update tries to create a restore point before installing an update. This is a critical issue
someone please help!

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)
February 6th 04, 08:49 AM
It's possible the SR file store is corrupted. This can be corrected as
follows, go to Control Panel, open System, go to the System Restore tab,
select, "Turn off System Restore on all drives and click apply and ok.
NOTE: this will wipe out all restore points.

Reboot the system as directed, return to the System Restore tab as outlined
above, remove the check from "Turn off System Restore on all drives," click
apply and ok and reboot. Then try System Restore again.

If that fails to resolve it, try the following link:
Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q302796

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"jayboy67" > wrote in message
> My system restore continues to fail every time I try to create a restore
> point and it gives me the old "not responding" in the task manager. I
> found on symantec and someplace else that there are files that need to be
> re register. Do that and use it maybe 2-3 times and back to the same thing
> and everytime it loses the previous restore points. What is happening and
> is there a permanent fix? Bugging the heck out of me. Have been throuch
> the reinstall via the upgrade option of XP pro and that doesn't fix. Also
> been through a couple of clean reinstalls of XP and all latest drivers in
> early Dec and had the problem before and after. Where it really get
> annoying is when Win Update tries to create a restore point before
> installing an update. This is a critical issue someone please help!

Pavey
February 6th 04, 08:53 AM
Have you checked your system Restore settings .. right click My Computer, select Properties, then click on the System Restore tab.

jayboy67
February 7th 04, 05:41 AM
Mike, I had already tried that with no joy. Seems to be intermittent. After this post I started having problem with Norton Personal Firewall. Kept telling me that an unknow program was trying to access the internet. I dutifully followed their recommendatio
n dozens of times to block it. When I went on the internet it was a rapid fire pop up warning block and I was ending up shutting down normal windows. ie 6.0 services so could not reach my isp or anyother web page, not found site error message. I finally di
sabled the firewall to see what would happen while watching the status box to see how many bytes were being sent and received. On connection with the firewall off it was just about 1 kb for each and then just didn't do anything else. By the way I had alrea
dy ran the NAV with no virus or trojans found. My AV database is automatically updated so was within 2 days of the latest. Anyway the fact that it didn't appear that an unknown program was sending anything to the internet I initiated the Norton One Button
Update. There was both virus and about 1+ mb for the firewall downloaded. Thought for sure had it licked so rebooted and got the same result with the firewall on. I even booted from the Norton CD and let it look at everything without windows with no virus
found.

Just replaced my cheap win moden with a good USB modem. Ran install with NAV, firewall, passport protection shutdown. The install program made an automatic system restore point for both of the supplied programs. Later I tried to make a restore point and it
was sucessful although I did not try to restore from it. From everything I can find it appears that Norton and XP pro have a problem living with eachother. Norton doesn't seem to recognize the problem in their knowledge base that I can find except for rer
egistering 4 files which seem to be changed later by NAV or PFW so end back up at the same place, loosing all the previous restore points and unable to do a Win Update install after downloading the update because on the ones that automatically create a res
tore point fails. I made a report to Symantec about a bug but it one of those things they don't answer you and probably don't do anything about it unless they get a lot of complaints so I may just be whistling Dixie.

Didn't give my configuration but here it is - Norton Sys Works 2004 with AV enabled, Norton Personal Firewall (disabled now), Norton Password Protection, 1 CD 1 CD-RW by Artec on IDE 2nd bus, 2 WD HDD master 80gb and slave 40 gb, new USR Performance Pro 56
k modem. USR Control Panel and Classic Phone Tools; ATI Radeon 7000, HP 7350 Photosmart Printer - USB connection, Outook 2000 and IE 6. All chipset and device drivers, BIOS flashed to latest ABIT/AWARD updates, Nero CD burner sw, I guess this is about all

Google