PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility problems with Chinese files in XP

Kevin
February 13th 04, 05:41 PM
I run two computers at home. The PC has Windows XP with the Global IME for Simplified Chinese. I have created a lot of text files on this system, but my LAPTOP can't read or identify these files (which I have saved on a floppy). Instead, all the Chinese
files names appear as lines, like this, _____.

The laptop runs XP too, and I think all the software is the same. Why can't it read or open these files???

Hemlock tree
February 13th 04, 08:41 PM
Just a guess
Check the fonts on the two pc's
Chinese supporrt has its own fonts.
Are the fonts the same on both machines?

Hemlock
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:21:09 -0800, "Kevin" <gonzaleskevin(remove this
> wrote:

>I run two computers at home. The PC has Windows XP with the Global IME for Simplified Chinese. I have created a lot of text files on this system, but my LAPTOP can't read or identify these files (which I have saved on a floppy). Instead, all the Chines
e files names appear as lines, like this, _____.
>
>The laptop runs XP too, and I think all the software is the same. Why can't it read or open these files???

Larry Craig
September 21st 06, 02:42 PM
Just a guess
Check the fonts on the two pc's
Chinese supporrt has its own fonts.
Are the fonts the same on both machines?

Hemlock
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:21:09 -0800, "Kevin" gonzaleskevin(remove this
wrote:

I run two computers at home. The PC has Windows XP with the Global IME for Simplified Chinese. I have created a lot of text files on this system, but my LAPTOP can't read or identify these files (which I have saved on a floppy). Instead, all the Chines
e files names appear as lines, like this, _____.

The laptop runs XP too, and I think all the software is the same. Why can't it read or open these files???

Hemlock,
Looks like you're just the guy I want to talk to. See topic above. I also have been looking for way to edit and compose Chinese Simplified files on English system. According to what you have said am I right to assume I need to install Global IME and a simplified Chinese character pack from MS? Any more to it than that?

I don't see contact info for you. I hope you see this and reply. Thanks Larry Craig

Google