PDA

View Full Version : TTS language bar

Jason Peacock \(MCSA\)
February 19th 04, 06:58 PM
I believe the language bar is a part of office XP not
winXP. It's settings are in the office tools section on
start button.

>-----Original Message-----
>How do I activate or reinstall the language bar?
>
>I am on a new install of XP Pro. With the first install,
I used TTS (text to
>speech) quite nicely, with 3 voice choices. After an OS
crash, I had to
>reinstall XP. Now, there is no language bar; I can test
the TTS engine
>through Control Panel:Speech, but there is only one
voice available (MS
>Sam). There is no apparent way to activate TTS without
the language
>bar...could I have deselected TTS somehow on the
reinstall?
>
>
>
>Thanks!
>
>-Gary
>

>
>
>.
>

February 20th 04, 04:05 AM
Thanks Jason - the MS Office Tools menu does have "language settings", but
that appears to be for using different languages in Office XP. The
Text-to-Speech language bar (if correctly named) is a separate tool bar that
can be relocated around the desk top, or positioned on the task bar - it
sort of slides out next to the systray. Any more leads?

"Jason Peacock (MCSA)" > wrote in message
> I believe the language bar is a part of office XP not
> winXP. It's settings are in the office tools section on
> start button.
>
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >How do I activate or reinstall the language bar?
> >
> >I am on a new install of XP Pro. With the first install,
> I used TTS (text to
> >speech) quite nicely, with 3 voice choices. After an OS
> crash, I had to
> >reinstall XP. Now, there is no language bar; I can test
> the TTS engine
> >through Control Panel:Speech, but there is only one
> voice available (MS
> >Sam). There is no apparent way to activate TTS without
> the language
> >bar...could I have deselected TTS somehow on the
> reinstall?
> >
> >
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >-Gary
> >
>
> >
> >
> >.
> >

Jason Peacock (MCSA)
March 16th 04, 07:06 PM
Install speech recognition

If you recently purchased a new computer, the Microsoft speech recognition engine might have been installed by the computer manufacturer. No further installation is necessary. If you installed Microsoft Office XP, or if you purchased a new computer with it
installed, the speech recognition engine is included, but might not be installed. Follow one of the instructions below to install it.

To determine if the speech recognition engine is installed

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Speech.
If the Speech Recognition tab is available in Speech Properties, the speech recognition engine is installed. If it is not available, the engine is not installed.

To install speech recognition from Microsoft Word 2002

Open Microsoft Word.
On the Tools menu, click Speech.
Speech recognition is now available in all Office programs as well as other programs for which it is enabled, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer.

To install speech recognition using Add or Remove Programs

Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Change or Remove Programs, click Microsoft Office XP, and then click Change.
Click Add or Remove Features, and then click Next.
Under Features to install, double-click Office Shared Features.
Double-click Alternative User Input, click Speech, click the down arrow, and then click Run from My Computer.
Click Update.
Important

Speech recognition engines are language-specific. The first three Microsoft speech engines that are available are Simplified Chinese, U.S. English, and Japanese. Engines for other languages will become available.
Notes

To open Add or Remove Programs, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
If you are using a tablet computer, you can use Tablet PC Input Panel for handwriting and speech tasks. For more information about Input Panel, click Related Topics.
For more detailed information about using speech recognition, click the Help button on the Language bar.