PDA

View Full Version : LAN enabled, status connected, but can't connect to internet.

Pathchk
March 6th 04, 05:41 PM
Help. Computer neophyte. I've got a 5100 Speedstream modem (through SBC, my ISP). Everything was working fine until I started tweaking and really screwing down the parental controls (an almost 12 year old boy in the house with girls and their bodies
on the brain). Don't know what happened, but I lost my Start bar, several desktop icons disappeared, and my Accessories file program vanished. In trying to fix the problem, I uninstalled my SBC internet program (the disc came with the modem). I finally
got everything back by doing a system restore but my final problem is that I can't get connected to the internet. The Information Services guy at work told me I didn't need to install the SBC software, just use the modem to go directly to the internet.
Went through the routine of making a new connection, using PPPoe option as he suggested. Connecton successfully made, status shows its enabled, working and logging minutes. But I can't actually get to the internet. Logging into AOL or Yahoo doesn't w
ork .... I get a "can't make connection" sorta message. Anybody got any ideas?

Google