PDA

View Full Version : Limited User Access SBC/Yahoo DSL

Bubba6
March 11th 04, 09:01 PM
I have the SBC/Yahoo DSL package. I have one pc connected to the internet. As Admin, I can connect using SBC/Connection Manager no problem. If I try to connect [from the same pc] as a user who has "limited" rights, I am unable to connect. A dialog box appe
ars and sez the "limited user" must have administrative rights to connect. SBC uses a Pppoe connection.

How do I grant sub-users with limited rights, the right to connect to SBC/Yahoo?

SBC tech support sez it is a Windows XP issue, and they can not help me.

Regards - bubba6

Sharon F
March 12th 04, 10:42 PM
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:36:06 -0800, Bubba6 wrote:

> Sharon F;
> MS MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
>
> Regards and respect given to your MS MVP certification.
>
> You had the correct answer! Thank-You very much. Other, less informed people were telling me I was SOL.
>
> "I didn't use the SBC/Yahoo software when I had this service. At first, I
> manually created a Network Connection. When you double click on this, you
> can select "Only Me" or to share with other users on the same computer. If
> there is a connection item for SBC in Network Connections, you should be
> able to do the same thing with it."
>
> In providing feedback, "manually create[d] a Network Connection" imho is the operative statement. As there is not a property established for an existing icon, that the user can modify. It must be done from scratch during the set-up of the connection. Alt
hough it sez "manually", when I clicked on the network connection in Control Panel, it fired up an "Installation Wizard", that walked me through the setting up the connection. All I had to do was enter my SBC Yahoo user name and password, click the checkbo
x that sez allow all users to share this connection and I was off to the races. To future travelers of this kb, don't click the SBC [Blue Icon] connection on the "limited users" desktop, as it will again insist on having "Admin" rights, rather click on the
new network icon that you created "manually". This should get you to the net.
>
> This was Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> Regards - and safe computing Bubba6
>
> Keywords SBC Yahoo SBC/Yahoo SBC-Yahoo "Limited User" "Administrative Rights" DSL connection connecting connect
>
>
>
You're welcome and thank you!

--
Sharon F
MS MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

Google