Make sure Messenger is not running and type the below at the run cmd
(copy/paste);
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

--
Darren Hook

Microsoft PSS

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Peter in Manchester" > wrote in message
> I do not use Windows Messenger, and I object to receiving
> obscene messages on the desktop while I am on-line,
> together with the annoying pop-up asking me to upgrade the
> product I refuse to use.
> How do I remove it?
> Windows XP Home, IE 6.0.26

Jonathan Kay [MVP]
April 7th 04, 04:35 PM
Greetings Peter,

Firstly, do these "pop-ups" that are appearing have "Messenger Service" in their titlebar? If
so, what you're seeing is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not* Windows Messenger
(which are two different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor
can Microsoft control them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

To get rid of these, you'll need to disable the "Messenger Service", click Start, then Run,
enter "services.msc"and click OK. Scroll down to "Messenger", select it, right-click and then
choose Properties. Under startup type, choose 'Disabled' and then choose the 'Stop' button.
After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any real third-party
applications should be effected by this.

Next, in terms of Windows Messenger annoying you to upgrade, remove your saved Passport login
in Windows XP, so it can't automatically sign you in to the service (you can readd this back
in the future if you like), click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then,
click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and then on the left side
of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that
opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click 'Remove'.

If the window is still open with the upgrade question, say No, it should now stop trying.

Then open up Windows Messenger (click Start, then click Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
choose the Tools menu, then Options, then Preferences tab, uncheck 'Run this Program when
Windows starts', 'Allow this program to run in the background' and click OK. Then
right-click on its icon in the notification area/system tray (by the clock) and click Exit.
It shouldn't bother you again.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

>I do not use Windows Messenger, and I object to receiving
> How do I remove it?

Jonathan Kay [MVP]
April 7th 04, 04:52 PM
Greetings Peter,

Firstly, do these "pop-ups" that are appearing have "Messenger Service" in their titlebar? If
so, what you're seeing is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not* Windows Messenger
(which are two different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor
can Microsoft control them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

To get rid of these, you'll need to disable the "Messenger Service", click Start, then Run,
enter "services.msc"and click OK. Scroll down to "Messenger", select it, right-click and then
choose Properties. Under startup type, choose 'Disabled' and then choose the 'Stop' button.
After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any real third-party

Next, in terms of Windows Messenger annoying you to upgrade, remove your saved Passport login
in Windows XP, so it can't automatically sign you in to the service (you can readd this back
in the future if you like), click the Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then,
click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and then on the left side
of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that

If the window is still open with the upgrade question, say No, it should now stop trying.

Then open up Windows Messenger (click Start, then click Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
choose the Tools menu, then Options, then Preferences tab, uncheck 'Run this Program when
Windows starts', 'Allow this program to run in the background' and click OK. Then
right-click on its icon in the notification area/system tray (by the clock) and click Exit.

> How do I remove it?

Jonathan Kay [MVP]
April 7th 04, 04:53 PM
Greetings Peter,

> How do I remove it?

Jonathan Kay [MVP]
April 7th 04, 04:53 PM
Greetings Peter,

> How do I remove it?

Jonathan Kay [MVP]
April 7th 04, 07:44 PM
Greetings Peter,

> How do I remove it?

Jonathan Kay [MVP]
April 7th 04, 07:45 PM
Greetings Peter,

> How do I remove it?

Google