PDA

View Full Version : Download of Win XP SP2 Beta corrupted boot up files

HMeister
April 8th 04, 01:37 AM
My curiousity got the best of me and I downloaded a copy of Release Candidate Win XP SP2. The downloaded files wnet into a seperate folder where I assumed it would be safe. The download time was over 30 minutes therefore I had other obligations that kept m
e away approximately an hour. When I returned I found the Screensaver running and everything appeared normal until I attempted to sign on the desktop. The program did not allow me to logon and immediately began to restart. Once it finalized POST and tried
to activate the splash screen it stopped with an error message "\WINDOWS\INF\NETBIOS.INF either missing or corrupt. After searching for the file I ran in repair install I ran Chkdsk /R to find that some 36 files were in need of repair but no unrecoverable
files were detected. Where to go from here? I do not wish to format and start over, but if I replace manually system restore computer what lurks around the bend? Any help will be appreciated as MS specifically states that no support is available.

Carey Frisch [MVP]
April 8th 04, 01:49 AM
There is a new newsgroup dedicated to SP2 beta you should post to.
Please visit the following website for information:

Welcome to Windows XP SP2 Technical Preview Newsgroups
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=xpsp2&slcid=us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"HMeister" > wrote in message:

| My curiousity got the best of me and I downloaded a copy of Release Candidate Win XP SP2. The downloaded
files wnet into a seperate folder where I assumed it would be safe. The download time was over 30 minutes
therefore I had other obligations that kept me away approximately an hour. When I returned I found the
Screensaver running and everything appeared normal until I attempted to sign on the desktop. The program did
not allow me to logon and immediately began to restart. Once it finalized POST and tried to activate the
splash screen it stopped with an error message "\WINDOWS\INF\NETBIOS.INF either missing or corrupt. After
searching for the file I ran in repair install I ran Chkdsk /R to find that some 36 files were in need of
repair but no unrecoverable files were detected. Where to go from here? I do not wish to format and start
over, but if I replace manually system restore computer what lurks around the bend? Any help will be
appreciated as MS specifically states that no support is available.

Carey Frisch [MVP]
April 8th 04, 01:50 AM
There is a new newsgroup dedicated to SP2 beta you should post to.
Please visit the following website for information:

Welcome to Windows XP SP2 Technical Preview Newsgroups
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=xpsp2&slcid=us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"HMeister" > wrote in message:

| My curiousity got the best of me and I downloaded a copy of Release Candidate Win XP SP2. The downloaded
files wnet into a seperate folder where I assumed it would be safe. The download time was over 30 minutes
therefore I had other obligations that kept me away approximately an hour. When I returned I found the
Screensaver running and everything appeared normal until I attempted to sign on the desktop. The program did
not allow me to logon and immediately began to restart. Once it finalized POST and tried to activate the
splash screen it stopped with an error message "\WINDOWS\INF\NETBIOS.INF either missing or corrupt. After
searching for the file I ran in repair install I ran Chkdsk /R to find that some 36 files were in need of
repair but no unrecoverable files were detected. Where to go from here? I do not wish to format and start
over, but if I replace manually system restore computer what lurks around the bend? Any help will be
appreciated as MS specifically states that no support is available.

Google