PDA

View Full Version : no sound since installing xp pro??

martinbliss
May 20th 05, 05:10 PM
hi guys and girls, sorry if this seems the wrong place to post this but i am fairly new to this.
i have just installed xp pro onto my laptop on which i did have xp home edition. since the installation i have got no sound at all.
in control panel it does not recognise that speakers are attached even though they are built in to the damn thing!! :confused:
i'm not sure what the correct name for the speakers is so cannot perform a search or anything. it is a toshiba satelite pro.

please help!!?

Rik Bean
May 21st 05, 12:19 PM
hi guys and girls, sorry if this seems the wrong place to post this but i am fairly new to this.
i have just installed xp pro onto my laptop on which i did have xp home edition. since the installation i have got no sound at all.
in control panel it does not recognise that speakers are attached even though they are built in to the damn thing!! :confused:
i'm not sure what the correct name for the speakers is so cannot perform a search or anything. it is a toshiba satelite pro.

please help!!?

Did you upgrade or do a complete re-installation? If the latter, you probably need to add specific drivers. IIRC, Toshiba machines ship with a recovery CD which restores them to factory state, so you may need to dig a bit to get the drivers. Have to tried adding hardware manually through Control Panel?

martinbliss
May 22nd 05, 11:44 PM
Did you upgrade or do a complete re-installation? If the latter, you probably need to add specific drivers. IIRC, Toshiba machines ship with a recovery CD which restores them to factory state, so you may need to dig a bit to get the drivers. Have to tried adding hardware manually through Control Panel?

thanks for the reply rik bean. it was like you suggested, a complete re-installation. i have the recovery cd's but not too clued up on drivers etc. i have tried adding hardware but no audio devices are detected! i'll give the recovery cd's a go

Rik Bean
May 23rd 05, 02:09 PM
thanks for the reply rik bean. it was like you suggested, a complete re-installation. i have the recovery cd's but not too clued up on drivers etc. i have tried adding hardware but no audio devices are detected! i'll give the recovery cd's a go

I suspect you may have to end up reverting the machine to factory state, ie XP Home. :( Recovery disks often don't give you many options, and branded notebooks tend to have very specific hardware, not something you can d/l from a web site like Creative. Good luck.

Google