PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection problem

wetibbe
November 13th 05, 04:04 PM
Hardware:

I have a new *( less than a month ) HP Pavilion a1220n; 514 Pentium 4; 2.93 Ghz; 512 MB memory; 200 GB hard drive; DVD+RW. My provider(s) is/are Cable Vision - Optonline and I also have MSN which I kept. OS is windows XP home edition.

My old computer is also an HP Pavilion XL918; Celeron; 1 Ghz; 30 GB hard drive; 128 MB memory; CR=RW; Cable Vision' Optonline and MSN; Windows XP home edition; service pack 2.

The Problems:

1. I attempted unsuccessfuly to set up a home network. Bought a Link Cable 4 port router and followed each step exactly. No connection could be made. Pinged, did everything. Returned the router and bought a different brand *( Netgear 4 port ). Never succeded. Each router CD reconfigured. Disabled forewalls and security.Tried ethernet cable, tried Belk Cat5EXVR crossover cable, now ordered Detto file transfer with USB. *( Dettos tech rep told me that one router had an internal firewall which no-one ever told me about ). Finally just copied to CD and transferred.

2. Dozens of phone calls have been made and hours spent talking to tech support at: a. Cable Vision b. MSN. c. Both router manufactureres. d. HP e. Microsoft ( windowes XP ). As ludicrous as it may sound no-one has been able to solve the problems. A new problem cropped up which is actually an old problem on the old computer. My internet connection is very erratic. I get dropped sometimes repeatedly. Sometimes I can stay connected for hours. Now the problem has fairly well settled into a routine expectation. I cannot boot up and go on the internet without, each and every time, unplugging the modem and replugging it. This resets the modem. When I go into "my computer" and click the "repair" button I get the error message: " Repair cannot be completed, ARP cache cannot be cleared ".

I had this exact same problem on the old computer. I searched around on the internet and found far too much and far too technical advice about ARP caches. I also ran a " repair windows" software program and eventually the old internet connection problem went away. Now it's back again on the new one.

I have downloades some "free" registry repair software. It found 139 errors. Corrected 120 of them then suggested that I place an order for software to "fix" the rest of the problem !!! Immediately after running it Norton signaled that it had captured a "Trojan Horse" and quarentined it I removed the invader.???????

It seems that everyone involved points the finger elsewhere and plays the "hot potato". Cable Vision says , not us. MSN says, not us. Microsoft Windows says, go to HP they loaded the Windowes, as the OEM it's their responsibility. And besides if you want to talk to us that will be $59 per half hour or $99 per hour. HP tech support is over on the other side of the world, hoplelessly inept and exceptionally difficult to even understand. The router manufacturers tech support spent over 1/2 hour on the phone with me and eventually just gave up with no resolution. She was absolutely the most helpless of the lot. I had to just terminate the conversation with two tech support persons who were totally lost and floundering.

Conclusions:

Cable Visions tech support fortunately hasn't been outsourced and still tries to help. It seem that somewhere the IP address resolution is malfunctioning or erratic. I already switched modems *( Now Motorola Surfboard SBV5120 ) and various tests by me and Cable Vision say we have a connection. However, CV does say there seems to be something not quite right. They speculate that my problem may be in the Windows XP program. The problem possibly is:

a. Cable Visions transmissions. Sometimes I stay connected for hours and sometimes every 5 minutes I'm dropped. * (Sometimes when I reboot I can connect and sometimes I cannot without unplugging the modem ).

b. There may be some internal Winxows XP problem.

c. There may be some inernal HP hardware problem that hasn't manifested itself yet. But I ran Windows " system restore" numerous times and still have the connection, dropping problem.

d. The two router CD setup wizards reconfigured and changed something.

What does not appear to be the problem:

a. Norton Anti Virus. I can boot and connect with it enabled OR disabled.

b. Some virus, spyware or trojan horse. I ran Norton Anti virus which did detect one virus but removed it and gave the computer a clean bill of health.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Any assistance or advice will be most welcome. Perhaps someone recognizes this problem.

Bill Tibbe

Google