PDA

View Full Version : problem with screen font sizes

Tcs
July 9th 07, 03:52 PM
1.) I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this, so if there is another group, please
advise. Thanks.

2.) My problem is:

Short version:
--------------
The size of screen fonts on my PC at home is ever so slightly smaller than that at work. Why?

( Note that the small font size at home was JUST BARELY LEGIBLE before my video card upgrade. I
believe were it not for my upgrade to my ATI Radeon x1600 w/512mb RAM, the printing would be as it
was before the video card upgrade...and that was too unacceptably small. The better video card
provides for better displaying of the too small fonts, so I *can* read them now, although I'd PREFER
they be as large as at the office.)

Long version:
-------------
This problem has existed for approx six (6) months. ( Perhaps even longer, I'm not really sure. )

At home I used to use w2k Pro, sp4, running on a PIII, @850MHz, 1gb RAM with an ATI Rage II VGA, and
a ViewSonic 19" monitor @1024x768, until about 2 months ago. I am now using wXP Pro, sp2, running
on a P4, @3.2GHz, 2gb RAM with an ATI Radeon x1600 w/512 RAM, color depth 32-bit, and a Gateway
FPD2185W ( 21" flat panel ) @1680x1050, DPI setting 'Normal size (96 DPI)'.

At work, for a little over a year now, I've been using a Gateway running wXP, sp2, running on a
Pentium D 930, @3GHz, 1gb RAM with an nVidia GeForce 6600, 128mb RAM, color depth 32-bit, and a
Gateway FPD2185W ( 21" flat panel ) @1680x1050, DPI setting 'Normal size (96 DPI).

---

Three example screen from my office PC, where the size is just fine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.newegg.com/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=koutech+f7210

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820162403

---

My problem started last winter some time. Or perhaps I should...more correctly state...I noticed it
last winter. My problem existed before I upgraded my system at home. ( How long before, I'm not
sure. ) I do know, and this is *really* weird...that when I did upgrade my system at home, I'm
99.9999% sure that the font sizes MATCHED THAT AT THE OFFICE. But after a few days/weeks, the size
"all of a sudden" got..smaller. If it was something that *I* did, I know not what it was.

The font size of the small fonts at home are so small, that on my old system, the letters were not
fully formed. Or at least that's the way they appeared. Different portions were light, dark,
thick, thin, and just plain...HARD TO READ. ( Even *with* my reading glasses. ) Now, because of
the better VGA card, it's much easier to read. But I would still PREFER to have it match the
slightly larger size as that at the office. And I know it can do it...because IT DID IT...before it
shifted into it's current "micro font" size.

So, how small is small? The only "reference" I have is that of the mouse pointer. I *assume* that
the size of it on both machines is the same. ( If it isn't, then I guess my goose is cooked here.
I'll have to try and find/use a ruler of some sort. )

Go to:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=koutech+f7210

Position the pointer at the end of two lines which are approximately the same length, say "Labor: &
Parts:" for the upper unit, or two (2) of the "Support - " lines for the lower. ( You want to get
as close as you can, but stop just before the pointer changes to the "I" character. )

At home: The left side of the pointer ( which will be pretty much VERTICAL ), will cover ( account
for? ) approximately TWO (2) lines. ( This is one entire line height, the space between it and the
next, and all of the second ( 2nd ) line. And perhaps a smidgen of the space between the second (
2nd ) and third ( 3rd ) lines as well.

At the office: The left side of the pointer ( which will be pretty much VERTICAL ), will cover (
account for? ) approximately 1.2 lines. ( This is one entire line height, the space between it and
the next, and a small portion of the second ( 2nd ) line height.

Bottom Line? ( No pun intended. ) The ONLY difference of which *I* am aware, is that both VGAs are
from different manufacturers. Otherwise...EVERYTHING ELSE is the same. ( Yes, including the
frequency, which I forgot to mention above. ) But I would still have to ask, if they are both set
for 'Normal size (96 DPI)', and everything else is the same, shouldn't they in fact BOTH BE THE SAME
SIZE? *I* would think so. But for 'some' unknown reason...they don't appear to be.

Oh, and yes, I'm using the VERY SAME reading glasses both at home and at work. I carry them with
me, so there isn't any question of two (2) sets of glasses of different strengths. :)

Any assistance anyone might provide would be greatly appreciated. This has me...thoroughly
bamboozled. ( I know, there's this large finger pointing down at me from the heavens above...
"There's something about you..." )

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Google