PCbanter

PCbanter (http://www.pcbanter.net/index.php)
-   Windows Service Pack 2 (http://www.pcbanter.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Security Center doesn't appear after SP2 install in XP Prof. Help (http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=812900)

Scholastica September 21st 05 08:16 AM

Security Center doesn't appear after SP2 install in XP Prof. Help
 
After a complete reinstall of Windows XP Prof on a Toshiba laptop I then
tried to install Service Pack 2 from a MS CD which they sent me. It didn't
go well in one respect--right at the end an error message popped up that said
it could't find the Cryptographic service, or some such thing. I closed the
message window and moved on.

Went to Control Panel to configure the Security Center for Firewall,
Updates, etc, and there isn't any Security Center!! Where is it and where is
my SP 2 Firewall, etc??

I hope someone can give me a clue on this--I don't know where to start.


--
Thank you for your help,

Scholastica


Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\) September 21st 05 02:42 PM

Scholastica wrote:

After a complete reinstall of Windows XP Prof on a Toshiba laptop I then
tried to install Service Pack 2 from a MS CD which they sent me. It didn't
go well in one respect--right at the end an error message popped up that said
it could't find the Cryptographic service, or some such thing. I closed the
message window and moved on.

Went to Control Panel to configure the Security Center for Firewall,
Updates, etc, and there isn't any Security Center!! Where is it and where is
my SP 2 Firewall, etc??

I hope someone can give me a clue on this--I don't know where to start.

Hi,

It doesn't look like SP2 was able to install on your computer.

I have created a batch file that should fix the Cryptographic service
issue, run the batch file, reboot and try to install SP2 again.

Go to
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#C...Service_Pack_2

Look for fixdb.bat under "Error 0x800710D9 Unable to read from
or write to the database". Download and run it.




--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx

Scholastica September 21st 05 04:00 PM


-- Thank you for your help. I will try that but anothe problem has
surfaced--I cannot open the link for "Setup a Home or Small Office Network"
Do you think this batch file might clean that up too, or is this something
else?


Thank you for your help,

Scholastica



"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

Scholastica wrote:

After a complete reinstall of Windows XP Prof on a Toshiba laptop I then
tried to install Service Pack 2 from a MS CD which they sent me. It didn't
go well in one respect--right at the end an error message popped up that said
it could't find the Cryptographic service, or some such thing. I closed the
message window and moved on.

Went to Control Panel to configure the Security Center for Firewall,
Updates, etc, and there isn't any Security Center!! Where is it and where is
my SP 2 Firewall, etc??

I hope someone can give me a clue on this--I don't know where to start.

Hi,

It doesn't look like SP2 was able to install on your computer.

I have created a batch file that should fix the Cryptographic service
issue, run the batch file, reboot and try to install SP2 again.

Go to
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#C...Service_Pack_2

Look for fixdb.bat under "Error 0x800710D9 Unable to read from
or write to the database". Download and run it.




--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx


Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\) September 21st 05 04:07 PM

Scholastica wrote:

-- Thank you for your help. I will try that but anothe problem has
surfaced--I cannot open the link for "Setup a Home or Small Office Network"
Do you think this batch file might clean that up too, or is this something
else?

Hi,

I would think that is something else...


--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx

PA Bear September 22nd 05 02:53 AM

After a complete reinstall of Windows XP Prof on a Toshiba laptop...

What did you use to "reinstall" Windows XP Pro?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)


Scholastica wrote:
After a complete reinstall of Windows XP Prof on a Toshiba laptop I then
tried to install Service Pack 2 from a MS CD which they sent me. It
didn't
go well in one respect--right at the end an error message popped up that
said it could't find the Cryptographic service, or some such thing. I
closed the message window and moved on.

Went to Control Panel to configure the Security Center for Firewall,
Updates, etc, and there isn't any Security Center!! Where is it and where
is my SP 2 Firewall, etc??

I hope someone can give me a clue on this--I don't know where to start.



koc12hi March 23rd 11 03:49 AM

Yes i also face the same problem but still unable to solve it

purg12er April 11th 11 05:57 PM

thanks a lot for sharing this nice and superb information with us
its really very helpful post

insu27 November 28th 11 10:09 AM

The new welcome screen during the kernel boot removes the subtitles "Professional", "Home Edition" and "Embedded" since Microsoft introduced new Windows XP editions prior to the release of SP2. The green loading bar in Home Edition and the yellow one in Embedded were replaced with the blue bar, seen in Professional and other versions of Windows XP, making the boot-screen of operating systems resemble each other. Colors in other areas, such as Control Panel and the Help and Support tool, remained as before.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2006 PCbanter
Comments are property of their posters