PCbanter

PCbanter (http://www.pcbanter.net/index.php)
-   The Basics (http://www.pcbanter.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   XP Registry Problems--Cannot Download New Programs, Cannot Use Recovery (http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=1089480)

[email protected] February 9th 14 03:18 AM

XP Registry Problems--Cannot Download New Programs, Cannot Use Recovery

Something has become very wrong with my XP.

I was getting strange error pop ups from programs I currently had, but would not open the programs. I tried downloading some repair programs, but after downloading them, it would not let me open them.

I figured something was wrong with my registry, but I dont have a Recovery Disk and the Recovery F11 (or F whatever wont work-- by the way I have a Dell 5150). My restore points won't go back further than a week, which doesn't fix the problems.

I have run antivirus-- everything seems okay. I have run a couple of reg scans and it says everything is ok. I don't know what is going on.

Any suggestions?

[email protected] February 9th 14 03:21 AM

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:18:08 PM UTC-8, wrote:

I was getting strange error pop ups from programs I currently had, but would not open the programs. I tried downloading some repair programs, but after downloading them, it would not let me open them.

I figured something was wrong with my registry, but I dont have a Recovery Disk and the Recovery F11 (or F whatever wont work-- by the way I have a Dell 5150). My restore points won't go back further than a week, which doesn't fix the problems.

I have run antivirus-- everything seems okay. I have run a couple of reg scans and it says everything is ok. I don't know what is going on.

Any suggestions?

By the way, the programs that refuse to open say Application Error. Sometimes if I keep hitting the icon, the program will actually come on.

Ghostrider February 9th 14 09:12 AM

XP Registry Problems--Cannot Download New Programs, Cannot UseRecovery

On 2/8/2014 6:21 PM, wrote:

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:18:08 PM UTC-8, wrote:

Any suggestions?

By the way, the programs that refuse to open say Application Error. Sometimes if I keep hitting the icon, the program will actually come on.

The issue seems to be more with the application than Windows XP. Just
what is the application that is not loading and starting properly? And
how installed, i.e., from CDROM, via Internet download, etc.?

GR

[email protected] February 9th 14 10:27 PM

thanks.

The programs were internet downloads.
System Mechanic
WiseCare
Kaspersky