How to set NOTEPAD to save to UNICODE as default
On Saturday, January 25, 2014 at 9:50:31 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Friday, 27 April 2007 02:26:35 UTC+5, *rain*drops* wrote:
I guess the title says it: In XP, how do I set NOTEPAD to save to UNICODE
as default. I posted a similar query and recieved just one response,
recommending me to get a different program. I want to just tweak NOTEPAD,
through registry edits or whatever.
How do I do that?
SET NOTEPAD TO SAVE IN UNICODE BY DEFAULT
1. Right click - New - Text Document
2. Open "New Text Document.txt". Do NOT type anything!
3. Go to "File - Save As... " and choose UniCode under "Encoding:", press "Save" and overwrite existing file. Close the file.
4. Rename "New Text Document.txt" to "UniCode.txt"
5. Copy "UniCode.txt" to "C:\WINDOWS\SHELLNEW"
6. Open Regedit and Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt\ShellNew
7. Right click in the right window - New - "String Value" and rename it to "FileName".
8. Double click on "FileName" and put "UniCode.txt" into "Value Data".
9. press OK It's finished.
Test it: Create new .txt document (Right click - New - Text Document). Open it and go to "File - Save As... " and see that encoding is set by
default to UniCode . :-)