View Single Post
Old March 17th 12, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
SC Tom[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default focus (active window) not returning?

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message ...
I've had this from the year dot, so just assumed it was part of Windows, but suddenly thought I'd ask if anyone knows
a way round it:

Sometimes closing something leaves no window/process as the "active" one (in default colour scheme, all title bars are
grey none blue).

For example, if I'm doing something, and open Task Manager, then close Task Manager, I have to click back on (or
Alt-Tab to, use the Taskbar button, etc.) the window I was working in to get focus back to it.

I've just experimented, and it's only _some_ applications: for example, Firefox (11.0) and Explorer (Windows, not IE)
both _do_ get focus back.

Mine's been that way from day one, also. I find if I minimize my window, whatever is under it gets the focus. But if I
close it, then I have to click on either the old window or the task bar to change focus. In my case, not even IE picks
up the focus on closing a different app.

I posted a similar question years ago about the differences in focus for different programs, but never got a fix or even
a really reasonable explanation other than "that's just the way it is." My example was when in OE (or even WLM on my
Win7 machine), if I move the cursor from the Folders list to the Message side, I can scroll through the messages without
clicking on anything. But in Explorer, I have to click in the right-hand pane in order to scroll.
May be a different focus issue, but similar I think. Sorry, I can't help you, but I'll be following this thread, too :-)
--
SC Tom

Ads