View Single Post
Old March 13th 15, 04:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
No_Name
external usenet poster

Default XP Pro SP3: networking unavailable, netsh broken showing "accessdenied"; DCOM broken?

Howdy, y'all,

One of our users had local disk problems, and a desktop tech used Recovery Console to repair the disk with CHKDSK. The result was a found.000 folder with almost 320 dir*.chk subfolders.

Firstly, the PC is an HP Presario built on an Asus A8N-LA mobo, which HP calls the Nagami GL-8E with 4GB. Chipset is the NForce 4.

However, problems remain. Firstly, networking is missing. When I run netsh interface show interface I see error messages including:
"WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [machine name]. Some commands may not be available."

And "access was denied."

Windows Task Manager under the Networking tab shows "No Active Network Adapters Found" but Device Manager shows no problems with the NVidia LAN adapter.

Windows thinks that it needs to be reactivated.

WMIDiag fails with 0x80070005 error. The log file says that the error is due to DCOM security modifications.

I tried to propagate permission entries on %windir%\system32\ but no improvement.

dcomcnfg abends before displaying anything, so I wonder if the COM catalog is corrupt. MS published an article about fixing this:
http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315296

We're stuck on this. Thanks in advance for repair advice.
Ads