View Single Post
Old June 2nd 05, 08:26 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: May 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1a2
Yes I am from the states. I think you are right. I think it is DSL and the box is a router. I don't know how to do what you mentioned next, but I have figured out that I have an internal and an external IP address. Then I went to the site you suggested and it confirmed it. It says it is showing my internal IP address. It is not supposed to is it? What can i do about that? I want to know how to not have anyone trace me or hack me. Can you help me further?
Hackers as such would have no interest in hacking your PC unless it was for purposes to prove existence of a new exploit (security hole) on the OS you may be running. Bigger worry should be script-kiddies and people running warez/botnet channels. They will scan and try to upload their "root kit" onto your PC in an attempt to use your bandwidth for purposes of sharing copyrighted material without your permission. Having router helps keep your system safe to an extent. You might want to invest into getting yourself a hardware/software firewall (in most cases your router will be able to block unused ports etc. consult with your manual) and an antivirus system. If you're looking for all in one package (for MS Windows) you may wish to visit http://www.f-secure.com and check out F-Secure Internet Security 2005. I'm sure there will be allot of people with allot of different (and some free) suggestions but that's the one I personally like the best (speed of updates is always an issue and these guys seem to update their AV at least 2 times a day).

In the end no matter how good your firewall / antivirus is, you play biggest role in protecting your PC. So use common sense, shut down all services that you are not using, do not download files from people you do not know and even them ask them and make sure they sent you the file. Check the extension and if file is an executable use caution, scan it before you run it. Try use more than just 1 antivirus / firewall and do not open ports you do not need opened. While browsing the web try and use proxy servers (there are allot of free ones out there) and never give out ANY personal info out to emails from "banks" (pay pal included) and so on. Companies that need to know your info already know it. It's as simple as that. I'm certain there will be more people to fill in the gaps I left...
Ads