View Single Post
Old June 1st 05, 10:12 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1a2
I don't think I received an paper work with my router. It was just sent to me from the phone company to connect to the line. I will try it again with the admin/password thing you mentioned.

As for what I am receiving, I am getting emails, phone calls about things that I signed up for through the net. Only I didn't.

I tried the admin/password thing still didn't work, wouldn't let me in. The model of my router is Westell 2110 Wirespeed DSL Modem. Yes I've done a full system scan. I am running Norton System works. I double checked, no paperwork with my router. I do run the ad-ware and spybot. Nothing there either. I tried the start/run....It was already disabled.

Did I do everything? Now what can I do?
I think the first thing to do is contact the phone company and ask for their help/advice, plus a copy of the manual. In particular, you want to know whether the router has an active NAT firewall (which it should have) and also an SPI firewall, which is desirable. Also,

http://www.westell.com/pages/support/dropdown.jsp

has support and documentation available.

Unfortunately, I don't know the router - but I am no expert. It might be worth posting at:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/

in the general broadband chatter section. There are some very experienced people there who know far more than I ever will, and they may have a solution for you (the site is UK based, but has members from all around the world).

In the UK, we have something called the Telephone Preference Scheme. You register your phone numbers, including mobiles, and it becomes an offence for people to make unsolicited calls to you. Is there a similar organisation in the States?

Do you belong to any forums or Usenet groups where you include your email address and any other data in your signature? There are robots trawling for such data, so it's best to spell it out, eg m y n a m e AT t h i s d o m a i n . c o m, people can still work it out but robots can't. Better yet, get a throway mail address than you can filter off, I use Yahoo and Gmail for this purpose.

From what you say, I'm not certain you're being hacked, but you might be filling in details on sites that sell on. Check the privacy policy of any site you give details to and make sure you opt out of them passing on your details. Often the wording of the opt-out is designed to make you think you're opting out by checking the box when the opposite is true.

If system works stops unauthorise apps contacting the web (and I seem to think it does from 2005 on) then the machine should be clean, but I use Webroot's Window Washer to get rid of tracking cookies after each session. I also use their SpySweeper, which I find more effective than others at getting rid of malware.

At this time, I can't think of anything else to help you - it would be easier if I could pop round and take a look at your machine Feel free to get back to me if there's anthing else you think I can do.

Rik

-----------------
Milton Keynes, UK
Ads