View Single Post
Old August 8th 04, 06:48 AM
Chad Harris
external usenet poster

Default 127.0.0.1 of The RIOT ACT--Reread the posts before you "riot."

+J--

Reading what I posted might help and I'm for ending this and getting onto some XP problems. But I'll be happy to repeat some of what you didn't read and understand first go 'round:

"YOU have NO good reason to post in HTML*" We have some fortune tellers in our town that would view you as competition. I disagree. I have some excellent reasons to post in HTML--it would look ten times better. That's why books, the print media, TV computer graphics, and nearly anything visual that you ever read deploys it.

You have a full time job getting insight into your own motivation. There are a number of people who have done it with good reason, and there are groups directly supervised by MSFT right now that permit it if the poster feels they have a reason, and the MSFT supervisors have said directly that they will post in HTML or put up an attachment if they feel *they* have a reason.

"But you changed the FONT-SIZE for plato, and many others." Nope, As I've said for the third time, now, I didn't change the font size although you changed it above. Kelly or someone else on her site chose the font size and I pasted it and didn't realize I posted in html and didn't even intend to and it preserved that font size from the SR article from Kellly.

I didn't change the font size at all in that Post--as I explained twice, it came from a Web Page on Kelly's XP website--the article on System Restore.

Highlights of System Restore Fixes in SP1 (Kelly's XP)

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

"Since your going to post in html with a mini font, pick one that is even smaller to give my eyes an even better workout."

For the tenth time, *I* didn't pick the font, Kelly or someone else did. So what happens when you go to Kelly's page--do you jump up and down resenting that font is there? How 'bout Plato? Have you asked Kelly to change that font or pick one even smaller to give your eyes a workout or like a big boy figure a way to scroll and make it comfortable viewing because it's far and away one of the best sites or collections of information anyone has worked hard to compile and meticulously update.

I pasted directly from this page. Scroll to the bottom where Kelly included MSFT's SR Team member's writeup as to changes in Windows XP SP1--a change I haven't seen conveyed anywhere that is significant and seldom mentioned in posts on System Restore and why it works or doesn't. I'm taking from this that Kelly has a piece of information on her site that most people need to know. When I pasted, I didn't even know HTML was on.

As I've said more than once on this thread, I have the appropriate check marks "Reply to messages in their format" has the check out and "News Sending Format" has a radio button in "Send in Plain text." I mastered the art of the difficult navigation ToolsOptionsSend tab and it doesn't matter--the "HTML Formatting Part of MSFT OE/IE/XP bar" still comes up. It's up now, and it will be up until I turn it off--which I've managed to do since it caused concern.

"You did not measure anything." You're clueless as to what I measured.

I was explicit and clear on its face about precisely what on the Send tab is appropriate to deploy Plaint Text and I really appreciate your pointing out that there are a few other options on the Send tab--the rest of us could never count them and going to those tabs is such a highly complex manuever.

But there's something you don't appreciate. OE is the freebie from MSFT. There has been a culture at Redmond that it doesn't get that developed and it doesn't get updated often or in much depth. One of the product managers a few months ago announed it was being discontinued in fact, but then there was a quick retraction and references that it might have more functionality in Longhorn.

OE doesn't do a lot of things well. It's not going to. There are a number of aspects of downloading messages from NGs that have been dissected by a number of people on the OE groups that aren't consistent and don't work well. Tom Koch's site points out a number of problems. MSFT encourages people to compact while they are on line and using their PC, and every last OE MVP has singled compacting out as one of the chief causes for a corrupt inbox and other components of OE that break.

As to ways to handle a problem that causes a workout for your eyes, both David Candy and I did a complete job of telling you how you can adjust any text size in a second that you see on the group. I'm doing what I can do for Plato's eyes. I'm posting in plain text. But Plato is going to have to use some of the buffers for getting comfortable that both David Candy and I pointed out exist because I can't troubleshoot every web page that he encounters, and when he does encounter small print, my Accessibility check mark can go along way toward helping. The display properties dialogue box can change the fonts on menus and I recommend it for anyone who wants bigger print.

"which has been explained by Kelly"--No it hasn't. Not even close. The HTMLFormatting toolbar as MSFT Press's latest book on IE/OE calls it *is part of OE/IE/XP--it is not third party.* And I read Kelly's 4 posts several times. Given that I have the two appropriate places configured on the Send tab for plain text, there is no explanation as to why I have to reset to Plain text, but I'm happy to do it.

Chad

__________________________________________________ _________________________

"+-J" wrote in message ...

Chad,

| I fail to see why people go nuts

NOBODY went nuts, hence this reading of The Riot Act.

| when you post in html if it's for a good reason.

YOU have NO good reason to post in HTML.

| I think html makes it a lot easier to read if you use italics, underline or bold correctly.

But you changed the FONT-SIZE for plato, and many others.

| Does it create that much of a bandwidth problem?

YES

| It's not a large image.

You did not measure anything.

| My posts in html weren't intentional on this group although I have done it when I thought it was appropriate.

In Outlook Express, use *both* of the following settings to prevent the parent's HTML from propagating.

Tools | Options |
[Y] "Read all messages in plain text"

Tools | Options | Send |
[_] 'Reply to messages using the format in which they were sent'

| They were a function of that checkmark on the Send tab.

Which option? There many options on /Send\

| And I still noticed the html toolbar which *is native to OE messages* in rich text format, but since I wasn't doing anything but
hyperlinking, I didn't think it would be html.

In OE, hyperlinks are clickable in TEXT messages.

| The post that started the html question that Plato said "gave his eyes a workout"

Plato explained the problem which YOU caused.

|--(I'm not sure what that means ...

This is ONE of YOUR problems.

| because his eyes have all the tools to handle that and more anatomically and physiologically)

How can YOU possibly know about Plato's eyes?
And why are YOU telling HIM what HE should do about the problem which YOU caused?

| but it came simply from a font used on Kelly's web page when I pasted and I still cannot understand why it is such a prodigious
deal.

Plato explained the problem which YOU caused.
Since your going to post in html with a mini font, pick one that is even smaller to give my eyes an even better workout.

| Even with the checkmark out of the box on that send tab, this message opened up to post in html and I changed it to plain text.

... Which has been explained by Kelly.

To be continued...
---
Jan

Ads