Thread: Font problem
View Single Post
Old September 19th 09, 08:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Bob Lucas
external usenet poster

Default Font problem

Ah !!!

That confirms that you did download the fonts as TTF files. The actual file type did NOT change to JPEG, even though your computer displayed the wrong icon.

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, designed Windows to hide the file extensions of known file types by default. That is what happened to the icons you downloaded. However, because if you couldn't see the complete file name (with the extension), you had no way of knowing whether the actual files were ttf, ico, or jpeg.

At best, the Windows default setting leads to confusion - and in some circumstances, can be dangerous. For instance, some viruses and other malware may be distributed with a "double" file extension (such as "filename.jpg.exe"). A "double" file extension is a classic danger sign. However, by default, Windows hides the true file extension ("exe"). Consequently, it appears that you have received a harmless JPEG file, instead of a potentially dangerous "exe" file.

In my previous advice, I advised you to click Control Panel / Folder Options / View - and remove the check from the box labelled "Hide extensions for known file types". I still recommend that you to perform that simple step, even though you have resolved the particular problem with the font.

"Annie" wrote in message ...
Apologies for replying late, I've been on holiday.
When I downloaded the fonts they downloaded as .ttf icons, however, when I came to install those fornts they were displaying as Irfanview Icons, ('jpeg format), I installed a trial version of *Associate This* and re associated those Irfanview Icons back to the Windows Font Viewer.
I couldn't install the fonts until I had reassociated them.
Anne
"Richard" wrote in message ...
"Annie" wrote in message
If I change the font from a .jpeg to a .ttf it stays in .jpeg. format.
If I run ...fontview.exe airstream.ttf . then the font opens as it
should, but the icon remains as a .jpeg on my desktop, and not as the
actual font .. (.ttf file).

Hi Annie,

I understand from your later messages that your problem was solved, but I'm
curious about your description in the above cited message. What were you
changing? Were you renaming the file from "airstream.jpeg" to
"airstream.ttf" and the filename was changing to "airstream.jpeg"? (In which
case fontview.exe airstream.ttf should not have worked.) Or did you mean
that only the icon graphic itself looked like a jpeg icon, not the font one?

(Thanks in advance.
--Richard

P.S. Something else to check:
In Control Panel, open Folder Options, click View tab.
In Advanced settings, see if there is a checkmark befo
Hide extensions for known file types
If so, I recommend you UN-check that. With extensions hidden, you might
receive a file called "FamilyPics.jpg" attached to an email, that is really
"FamilyPics.jpg.exe" which, instead of opening in a graphics viewer, begins
to execute some nasty virus, trojan or worm program.
- - -

Ads