View Single Post
Old September 23rd 14, 03:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
philo [_3_]
external usenet poster

Default old gateway running xp pro need directions how to use restorecds

On 09/22/2014 02:05 PM, DJW wrote:
On Friday, September 19, 2014 10:27:16 AM UTC-5, DJW wrote:
I have a gateway e4100 desktop tower I need to restore it back to the first time I used it. I took made the three restore CDs and the one driver CD. How do I use them? Are there online directions how to use them? I was going back to a restore point on this computer running windows XP Pro when the power went out. Now it will not go to any restore points with out an error and the computer is not acting right. That is why I want to redo the system.

Ok I finally got it to start its process but it got in a loop and just would not move on to xp booting from the HDD. So I put in an old windows 98se floppy and booted and ran fdisk and deleted the primary partition. I tried it again and it ran the restore process mostly I think from restore partition because it only asked for disc one of the three. I think now I can get things back to normal after I install drivers for the scanner and printer and other stuff.
I wanted to try a what if the HDD went bad so I swapped it for a 10 GB HDD and started the restore process. It ran and this time asked for all three disks. But when it was time to make the primary partition and install xp from the restore partition I believe it made and loaded while it asked for the three cds. Well when it got to that it looped and told me it could not. Now at the beginning it would have been nice or when it error to tell me why. Is 10 GB not a big enough HDD? The original drive was in the low 80 GBs

Additional question is how big a HDD would it need or am I seeing another problem using an HDD not originally OEM equipment?

If your drive has a restore partition it would of course not be present
on another drive.

Though 10 gigs is pretty small, it's big enough to install XP
Ads