View Single Post
Old August 15th 15, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Master/slave settings swtiched when powered off

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Aug 2015 09:57:49 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub
Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

Pardon the cross-posting. win2000 newsgroup is practically dead.

What could have happened to cause this problem? Master and slave drives were switched without me doing anything.....

The system has Windows 2000 Prof. Today I shut down powered down the system as usual - Start Shut down, etc. The an hour later powered up. When the first screen came up, I noticed the slave drive mfr/model was listed as master and vice versa. I let it start up as normal, and the desktop was like when first installed. Opened Windows Explorer and c: drive was in fact the former slave. Former master was now one of the other drive letters. All the other drives were there, but with different letters.

I also noticed something in the recycle bin - which is normally empty. It has a couple of backup folders that had been on the original master. They were 1-2 GB each, and there's no way I would have deleted those accidentally. If they were deleted it would take a minute on this machine to go thru the deletion process. So I moved them back to a safe place on a drive.

Then I hit start shutdown restart. Hit DEL and sure enough they were showing up as being switched. I set it up to manually set them back, rebooted and all came up normally again.

Now all is back to normal.

I confess. When you were eating I was modifying your settings. Sorry.

I regret what I did. I'm glad everything turned out all right

You'd be better off posting to xp.general than xp help.

And uncle, why did you remove the other ng from the list? Does your
software make you do that or did you want to exclude them? It would
help Snuffy (What a name. Reminds me of Snuffy Smith. That's why I
attacked your computer in the first place.)

Ads