A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Windows XP Help and Support
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Master/slave settings swtiched when powered off

Old August 14th 15, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney
external usenet poster

Default Master/slave settings swtiched when powered off

Pardon the cross-posting. win2000 newsgroup is practically dead.

What could have happened to cause this problem? Master and slave drives were switched without me doing anything.....

The system has Windows 2000 Prof. Today I shut down powered down the system as usual - Start Shut down, etc. The an hour later powered up. When the first screen came up, I noticed the slave drive mfr/model was listed as master and vice versa. I let it start up as normal, and the desktop was like when first installed. Opened Windows Explorer and c: drive was in fact the former slave. Former master was now one of the other drive letters. All the other drives were there, but with different letters.

I also noticed something in the recycle bin - which is normally empty. It has a couple of backup folders that had been on the original master. They were 1-2 GB each, and there's no way I would have deleted those accidentally. If they were deleted it would take a minute on this machine to go thru the deletion process. So I moved them back to a safe place on a drive.

Then I hit start shutdown restart. Hit DEL and sure enough they were showing up as being switched. I set it up to manually set them back, rebooted and all came up normally again.

Now all is back to normal.

Ads
Old August 14th 15, 07:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Oren
external usenet poster

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 09:57:49 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

What could have happened to cause this problem? Master and slave drives were switched without me doing anything.....

The system has Windows 2000 Prof. Today I shut down powered down the system as usual - Start Shut down, etc. The an hour later powered up. When the first screen came up, I noticed the slave drive mfr/model was listed as master and vice versa. I let it start up as normal, and the desktop was like when first installed. Opened Windows Explorer and c: drive was in fact the former slave. Former master was now one of the other drive letters. All the other drives were there, but with different letters.

I also noticed something in the recycle bin - which is normally empty. It has a couple of backup folders that had been on the original master. They were 1-2 GB each, and there's no way I would have deleted those accidentally. If they were deleted it would take a minute on this machine to go thru the deletion process. So I moved them back to a safe place on a drive.

Then I hit start shutdown restart. Hit DEL and sure enough they were showing up as being switched. I set it up to manually set them back, rebooted and all came up normally again.

Beats me. It could be a drive controller on the MB going bad. Could
be other things - lost setting in the BIOS. When you hit DEL on
reboot it found the master again.

- check the cable on the drive, disconnect from the MB & drive and
connect it again

- Boot sector corruption on the drive?

- Do a virus scan

Run Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/ a free product. Do the
definition update. Cut and paste the OS, Drives, Controllers & Virus
Protection parts of the report back here.
Old August 15th 15, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky[_2_]
external usenet poster

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Aug 2015 09:57:49 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub
Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

I confess. When you were eating I was modifying your settings. Sorry.

I regret what I did. I'm glad everything turned out all right

You'd be better off posting to xp.general than xp help.

And uncle, why did you remove the other ng from the list? Does your
software make you do that or did you want to exclude them? It would
help Snuffy (What a name. Reminds me of Snuffy Smith. That's why I
attacked your computer in the first place.)

Old August 21st 15, 05:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney
external usenet poster

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...

------

"philo" wrote in message ...

I'd correct the settings in the BIOS and if they don't stick, then it's
time for a new CMOS battery

------

Thanks, philo. No time/date or other errors seen, but this system is 9 years old and past due for a new battery. I found this info that might help someone else....

http://ccm.net/faq/625-replacing-the...d-cmos-battery

Symptoms

If your computer is experiencing problems with the date and time or you see the following error messages:

- bios cmos checksum error defaults loaded
- bios cmos battery low cmos wrong memory size
- no operating system
- CPU overclocking failed
- New CPU has been installed

Replacement sequence
It is recommended that you change the CMOS battery every 5 years.

Saving the BIOS data
Open the BIOS screen and note all the information on a piece of paper. It's important that you don't make any modifications. Once completed this document will be useful to check out if all the parameters are correctly inserted after replacing the battery.

Removing the discharged battery
First of all, be sure that your System unit is laid down horizontally. The positive pole of the battery should be visible. Remove the battery, but avoid forcing it and any contact with other parts of your motherboard (refer to the manual provide with your motherboard). Go to your local retailer any buy a battery of the same model or something equivalent.

Installing the new battery
Be sure that the battery is placed correctly (firmly) in the slot allocated
Verify the BIOS data and resetting the clock

Once the operation complete, it is important to configure the BIOS settings:
- Start your PC.
- Enter the BIOS.
- Modify the date.
- Check the parameters are the same as the ones noted in step 1. Perform any modifications required if not
- Save and quit BIOS.

Old August 21st 15, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,alt.home.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Oren
external usenet poster

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 09:17:15 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

No time/date or other errors seen, but this system is 9 years old and past due for a new battery.

Given that age, the BIOS likely has an auto-detect feature. Replace
the battery, enter the BIOS and select auto-detect (hardware). Save
and exit.

YMMV