A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » The Basics
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

winxp time server

Old September 7th 09, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
steve[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default winxp time server

i am operating a peer to peer network with several PCs running both Win2000 and WinXP
and NO internet access. I find it useful to have all the computers synchronize their
system time with 1 computer on the network. i then just set that 1 computer's clock
about once every week or 2 or 3 just to keep it close to accurate. that computer was
running Win2000, however i am getting rid of that computer and replacing it with a
newer 1 running WinXP. the registry settings controlling time got much more
complicated going from Win2000 to WinXP. Even after reading over the MS technote on
configuring an authoritative time server in WinXP, I am still not sure just how to do
this. seems to be written more for a domain time servers rather than P2P. I just
want the new XP computer to be able act as a time server so that the others query the
it for its system time and it responds. of course, the new XP computer would not go
out anywhere to synchronize its clock, i do this manually. i would appreciate any
help with registry settings for the new XP computer.

i tried posting in the configuration management newsgroup but no response, thought i
might try here.

TIA
steve
Ads