A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Windows XP Help and Support
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

!!CONTINUOUS REBOOTS - POSSIBLE TECHNICAL SOLUTION!!

Old January 13th 04, 04:41 PM
Mike D
external usenet poster

Default !!CONTINUOUS REBOOTS - POSSIBLE TECHNICAL SOLUTION!!

I had a problem with my PC rebooting everytime it got to the WinXP logo screen with status bar. I tried everything, including rebuilding my system with a second harddrive. Turns out the problem was not even with WinXP, but with my motherboard. I found out
from an IT guy at work (who received a recall notice from IBM) that some PIII models bought in 2001 had defective motherboards (especially IBM NetVistas, Comaq and Dell). I contacted IBM about this and they confirmed the story. There is currently an ECA (E
ngineering Change Announcement) until December 2004 for this motherboard. I took my PC to IBM and they replaced the motherboard at their expense...it works great now! All you need to do is call the IBM Technical Support Line 1-800-565-3344 and tell them th
at you have a blown capacitor and you want a case# to have it repaired. The unfortunate thing about all this is that IBM is the only company who has acknowledged the problem and is doing anything about it - the other companies are doing diddley. You can fi
nd out more by reading the following article:

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY...eb03/ncap.html

Hope this helps everyone - it sure helped me!
Ads
Old February 11th 04, 02:01 AM
Eddie
external usenet poster

Thanks Mike, My WinXP pro pc crashed last night and this looks like a
real possible reason why. On reboot everything ran kind of slow and
hung at the splash screen before re-booting. When I managed to boot my
WinXP CD it told me that my main drive was not formatted. MSI main
board 8 months old.

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:21:18 -0800, Mike D
wrote:

I had a problem with my PC rebooting everytime it got to the WinXP logo screen with status bar. I tried everything, including rebuilding my system with a second harddrive. Turns out the problem was not even with WinXP, but with my motherboard. I found out

from an IT guy at work (who received a recall notice from IBM) that some PIII models bought in 2001 had defective motherboards (especially IBM NetVistas, Comaq and Dell). I contacted IBM about this and they confirmed the story. There is currently an ECA (
Engineering Change Announcement) until December 2004 for this motherboard. I took my PC to IBM and they replaced the motherboard at their expense...it works great now! All you need to do is call the IBM Technical Support Line 1-800-565-3344 and tell them t
hat you have a blown capacitor and you want a case# to have it repaired. The unfortunate thing about all this is that IBM is the only company who has acknowledged the problem and is doing anything about it - the other companies
are
doing diddley. You can find out more by reading the following article:

Old February 12th 04, 06:02 AM
Eddie 444
external usenet poster

Just reinstalled windows XP on a 3 gig drive I had. All hardware
working fine. The problem is with the 8 month old WD 80 gig HD, not
sure why it failed yet.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:52:00 GMT, Eddie wrote:

Thanks Mike, My WinXP pro pc crashed last night and this looks like a
real possible reason why. On reboot everything ran kind of slow and
hung at the splash screen before re-booting. When I managed to boot my
WinXP CD it told me that my main drive was not formatted. MSI main
board 8 months old.

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:21:18 -0800, Mike D
wrote:

I had a problem with my PC rebooting everytime it got to the WinXP logo screen with status bar. I tried everything, including rebuilding my system with a second harddrive. Turns out the problem was not even with WinXP, but with my motherboard. I found ou

t from an IT guy at work (who received a recall notice from IBM) that some PIII models bought in 2001 had defective motherboards (especially IBM NetVistas, Comaq and Dell). I contacted IBM about this and they confirmed the story. There is currently an ECA
(Engineering Change Announcement) until December 2004 for this motherboard. I took my PC to IBM and they replaced the motherboard at their expense...it works great now! All you need to do is call the IBM Technical Support Line 1-800-565-3344 and tell them
that you have a blown capacitor and you want a case# to have it repaired. The unfortunate thing about all this is that IBM is the only company who has acknowledged the problem and is doing anything about it - the other companies
are
doing diddley. You can find out more by reading the following article:

Old March 3rd 04, 07:21 PM
ghuston
external usenet poster

Have you looked into your event viewer to see what is causing the fault.
I have a similar problem and the error is caused by a conflict between
motherboard and XP. When both try to communicate with a device at the
same time it glitches and auto reboots. You can turn off the auto
reboot and get the BSOD instead. Unfortunately no bios update available
for my board but may be available for yours.

Hope this helps

Gary

John 3:16 wrote:
I have a motherboard from ASUS, the A7N8X Deluxe REV 1.xx, and have been suffering from a reboot problem for some time now. Sometimes I can work for hours before it happens, other times it's shortly after startup. I've been working with them to replace

the motherboard. I'll pass your information along and see what happens.
Thanks.....John