A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » General XP issues or comments
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

"Access Denied Files"

Old November 20th 04, 01:27 AM
Tcfirec
external usenet poster

Default "Access Denied Files"

I believe, I have a spyware program downloaded onto my computer. "EBATES"
when I go into program files and attempt to remove it, a "Unable to delete
Access Denied" window pops up. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this
program.
Ads
Old November 20th 04, 01:43 AM
Earl
external usenet poster

Try doing a Google search. Go "www.google.com" and type in EBATES in the
search box. You should be able to come up with a removal tool.
Old November 20th 04, 02:16 AM
t.cruise
external usenet poster

It's probably running, which is why you're unable to delete it. If you boot into Safe
Mode and delete the file, you will probably still have to run msconfig, click the startup
tab, remove the checkmark to the left of that item to disable it from loading at startup,
and then when you reboot and get the Selective Startup box click the option not to show
the dialog box again. Or, you could download the free version of Ad-Aware SE, install it,
update the Reference file (analogous to upgrading antivirus program definitions), then
scan your hard drive and registry for spyware/malware/scumware/trojans, and let Ad-Aware
SE remove the files and registry keys for the spyware/malware. You can download the FREE
version of Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition at:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

When the page loads, on the left side under the heading RESOURCES click the Download link.
Then click the link for downloading the FREE version of Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition.
Save the file to your hard drive, then double click it to start the install. Don't forget
to update the Reference file (there's a link to do that on the main window of the
program). By default Ad-Aware SE quarantines anything that you opt to remove. That way,
in case you remove something that a program needs in order to run you can quickly restore
the quarantined item. (I had a game program that wouldn't run without a data miner
cookie, so I had to go back to the quarantined items, and restore that cookie) When
you're sure that quarantined items aren't needed, THEN delete them for good by clicking
Open Quarantine List in the main window of Ad-Aware. After you scan your drive with
Ad-Aware SE, you might find that you have a much more spyware/malware/scumware/trojans
than you know about.
--

T.C.

Remove [NoSpam] to reply

"Tcfirec" wrote in message
program.

Old November 20th 04, 08:11 AM
Kelly
external usenet poster

Run this combo:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update each program, once installed, before running.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Tcfirec" wrote in message
program.