A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home Networking won't work

Old January 10th 04, 09:32 AM
Franklin Breeden
external usenet poster

Default Home Networking won't work

My desktop and laptop both have XP installed. I have attempted to establish a home network through a hub and cable system. I have run the network wizards and have tried to diligently follow all instructions. However, I can't see the other computer from either. When I try on the desktop to see the shared files on my laptop I get this message:
\\Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contat the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.
Any suggestions?
Ads
Old January 10th 04, 09:33 AM
Mark Hanson
external usenet poster

If you are running a software firewall like Norton Internet Security,
disable it. That should do it. (It worked for me.) There must be some way to
allow the other computer access, but I haven't figured that part yet.

Mark

Star Fleet Admiral Q
external usenet poster

If the PC(s)/Laptop(s) are running a software "Firewall", you'll need to
configure the "Firewall" to allow the other computer on the network has
access to it. I run ZoneAlarm Pro with a 4 PC/Labtop Network and I have the
IP ranges of my "Home Network" as "Trusted" where the IP of the DNS Router
as "Internet - aka non trusted".

"Franklin Breeden" wrote in message
news:XhoIb.705523$Fm2.607921@attbi_s04...
My desktop and laptop both have XP installed. I have attempted to establish
a home network through a hub and cable system. I have run the network
wizards and have tried to diligently follow all instructions. However, I
can't see the other computer from either. When I try on the desktop to see
the shared files on my laptop I get this message:
\\Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contat the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions. The network path was not found.
Any suggestions?

Bob Willard
external usenet poster

Franklin Breeden wrote:

My desktop and laptop both have XP installed. I have attempted to establish a home network through a hub and cable system. I have run the network wizards and have tried to diligently follow all instructions. However, I can't see the other computer fro

m either. When I try on the desktop to see the shared files on my laptop I get this message:
\\Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contat the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.
Any suggestions?

One common cause of this problem is ICF. Permanently disable ICF on all
XP PCs, as it will inhibit F&P sharing.

While other firewalls may be configured to allow a trusted zone, ICF is
pretty simple and inflexible.
--
Cheers, Bob

Franklin Breeden
external usenet poster

I am the original author of this message. After you guys kept hitting me in the head I remembered I had Zone Alarm installed on my desktop. When I deactivated it, everything worked perfect. Thanks for you advice and comments. I hope this will help a little.
Frank
"Franklin Breeden" wrote in message news:XhoIb.705523$Fm2.607921@attbi_s04...
My desktop and laptop both have XP installed. I have attempted to establish a home network through a hub and cable system. I have run the network wizards and have tried to diligently follow all instructions. However, I can't see the other computer from either. When I try on the desktop to see the shared files on my laptop I get this message:
Any suggestions?
Old April 9th 04, 01:56 PM
Daniel
external usenet poster

Thank you SO much, i just spent 6 hours trying to get my Lan to work...someone in my family hit the mydoom and it destroyed our Lan. I had the same problem as everyone else but once i turned off norton it worked perfectly. Thank you all.
Old April 9th 04, 02:26 PM
Daniel
external usenet poster

Thank you SO much, i just spent 6 hours trying to get my Lan to work...someone in my family hit the mydoom and it destroyed our Lan. I had the same problem as everyone else but once i turned off norton it worked perfectly. Thank you all.
Old April 9th 04, 03:31 PM
Daniel
external usenet poster

Old April 9th 04, 03:46 PM
Daniel
external usenet poster