A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows 8 » Windows 8 Help Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Windows 8 - Latest Version



 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 11th 15, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
Bill Bradshaw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 207
Default Windows 8 - Latest Version

I want to manually update flash from 184 to 203. When I run the flash
install program windows 8.1 pops up a message box informing me I already
have the latest version so it will not let me update to 203. How do I
change windows 8.1 so it quits doing this so I can load 203? I do know
how to go into IE and check the add-ins versions.
--
Bill

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska


Ads
  #2  
Old July 11th 15, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
Nil[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,658
Default Windows 8 - Latest Version

On 11 Jul 2015, "Bill Bradshaw" wrote in
alt.comp.os.windows-8:

I want to manually update flash from 184 to 203. When I run the
flash install program windows 8.1 pops up a message box informing
me I already have the latest version so it will not let me update
to 203. How do I change windows 8.1 so it quits doing this so I
can load 203? I do know how to go into IE and check the add-ins
versions.


The version of Flash that's in the version of IE that's included in
Windows 8 is updated by Microsoft Update. Updates from Adobe won't
work, as you discovered.

  #3  
Old July 11th 15, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
Paul
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,281
Default Windows 8 - Latest Version

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
I want to manually update flash from 184 to 203. When I run the flash
install program windows 8.1 pops up a message box informing me I already
have the latest version so it will not let me update to 203. How do I
change windows 8.1 so it quits doing this so I can load 203? I do know
how to go into IE and check the add-ins versions.


The "About" page hints at what is going on. The part after
the arrow is my interpretation.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Windows
Internet Explorer ActiveX 18.0.0.203 --- download based
Internet Explorer (Windows 8.x) ActiveX 18.0.0.203 --- IE Built-in
Firefox, Mozilla NPAPI 18.0.0.203 --- download based
Chrome (embedded), Opera,
Chromium-based browsers PPAPI 18.0.0.203 --- Pepperflash
built-in

Windows 8 is IE10 and IE11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Player

Internet Explorer 10/11 (Windows 8.x): 18.0.0.203 (8 July 2015; 1 day ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_10

"Adobe Flash integration

On Windows 8, Internet Explorer 10 includes a built-in Adobe Flash Player."

I presume the same applies to IE11.

This means your Flash Update might be waiting for you in Windows
Update.

*******

And here it is. This should update IE10/IE11 flash on Win8.
If for some reason you don't use WU, try the separate
installer file available on the page.

"Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer: July 8, 2015"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065823

Paul
  #4  
Old July 11th 15, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
Paul
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,281
Default Windows 8 - Latest Version

Paul wrote:
Bill Bradshaw wrote:
I want to manually update flash from 184 to 203. When I run the flash
install program windows 8.1 pops up a message box informing me I
already have the latest version so it will not let me update to 203.
How do I change windows 8.1 so it quits doing this so I can load 203?
I do know how to go into IE and check the add-ins versions.


The "About" page hints at what is going on. The part after
the arrow is my interpretation.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Windows
Internet Explorer ActiveX 18.0.0.203 ---
download based
Internet Explorer (Windows 8.x) ActiveX 18.0.0.203 --- IE
Built-in
Firefox, Mozilla NPAPI 18.0.0.203 ---
download based
Chrome (embedded), Opera,
Chromium-based browsers PPAPI 18.0.0.203 ---
Pepperflash
built-in

Windows 8 is IE10 and IE11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Player

Internet Explorer 10/11 (Windows 8.x): 18.0.0.203 (8 July 2015; 1
day ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_10

"Adobe Flash integration

On Windows 8, Internet Explorer 10 includes a built-in Adobe Flash
Player."

I presume the same applies to IE11.

This means your Flash Update might be waiting for you in Windows
Update.

*******

And here it is. This should update IE10/IE11 flash on Win8.
If for some reason you don't use WU, try the separate
installer file available on the page.

"Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer: July 8, 2015"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065823

Paul


And the reason for the rush at the moment, is the "Hacking Team"
company (a *malware* company) getting looted of secrets, including
knowing about (yet another) exploit for Flash.

Now that the Hacking Team secrets are no longer secret, they can
tell Adobe, and presumably the .203 release is a fix.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...real-soon-now/

Paul
  #5  
Old July 12th 15, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
Bill Bradshaw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 207
Default Windows 8 - Latest Version

Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill Bradshaw wrote:
I want to manually update flash from 184 to 203. When I run the
flash install program windows 8.1 pops up a message box informing
me I already have the latest version so it will not let me update
to 203. How do I change windows 8.1 so it quits doing this so I can
load 203? I do know how to go into IE and check the add-ins
versions.


The "About" page hints at what is going on. The part after
the arrow is my interpretation.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Windows
Internet Explorer ActiveX 18.0.0.203 ---
download based
Internet Explorer (Windows 8.x) ActiveX 18.0.0.203 --- IE
Built-in
Firefox, Mozilla NPAPI 18.0.0.203 ---
download based
Chrome (embedded), Opera,
Chromium-based browsers PPAPI 18.0.0.203 ---
Pepperflash

built-in Windows 8 is IE10 and IE11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Player

Internet Explorer 10/11 (Windows 8.x): 18.0.0.203 (8 July 2015; 1
day ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_10

"Adobe Flash integration

On Windows 8, Internet Explorer 10 includes a built-in Adobe Flash
Player."

I presume the same applies to IE11.

This means your Flash Update might be waiting for you in Windows
Update.

*******

And here it is. This should update IE10/IE11 flash on Win8.
If for some reason you don't use WU, try the separate
installer file available on the page.

"Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer: July 8, 2015"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065823

Paul


And the reason for the rush at the moment, is the "Hacking Team"
company (a *malware* company) getting looted of secrets, including
knowing about (yet another) exploit for Flash.

Now that the Hacking Team secrets are no longer secret, they can
tell Adobe, and presumably the .203 release is a fix.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...real-soon-now/

Paul


Thanks, it is updated. I also run windows 7 computers and I am able to
run the flash installer on them. I guess until now I did understand
flash was built into IE 11. Thanks.
--
Bill

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska


  #6  
Old July 12th 15, 09:31 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
. . .winston
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,345
Default Windows 8 - Latest Version

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill Bradshaw wrote:
I want to manually update flash from 184 to 203. When I run the
flash install program windows 8.1 pops up a message box informing
me I already have the latest version so it will not let me update
to 203. How do I change windows 8.1 so it quits doing this so I can
load 203? I do know how to go into IE and check the add-ins
versions.

The "About" page hints at what is going on. The part after
the arrow is my interpretation.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Windows
Internet Explorer ActiveX 18.0.0.203 ---
download based
Internet Explorer (Windows 8.x) ActiveX 18.0.0.203 --- IE
Built-in
Firefox, Mozilla NPAPI 18.0.0.203 ---
download based
Chrome (embedded), Opera,
Chromium-based browsers PPAPI 18.0.0.203 ---
Pepperflash

built-in Windows 8 is IE10 and IE11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Player

Internet Explorer 10/11 (Windows 8.x): 18.0.0.203 (8 July 2015; 1
day ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_10

"Adobe Flash integration

On Windows 8, Internet Explorer 10 includes a built-in Adobe Flash
Player."

I presume the same applies to IE11.

This means your Flash Update might be waiting for you in Windows
Update.

*******

And here it is. This should update IE10/IE11 flash on Win8.
If for some reason you don't use WU, try the separate
installer file available on the page.

"Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer: July 8, 2015"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065823

Paul


And the reason for the rush at the moment, is the "Hacking Team"
company (a *malware* company) getting looted of secrets, including
knowing about (yet another) exploit for Flash.

Now that the Hacking Team secrets are no longer secret, they can
tell Adobe, and presumably the .203 release is a fix.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...real-soon-now/

Paul


Thanks, it is updated. I also run windows 7 computers and I am able to
run the flash installer on them. I guess until now I did understand
flash was built into IE 11. Thanks.


Well....while others have stated that for Windows 8.0/8.1-IE11 it is
necessary to update Flash via Windows Update....that info is only
partially correct.

Win 8.0 and 8.1 can be manually updated but not via the installer file
provided by Adobe.

For the version you referenced '203'

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065823
- provides links for downloading the MSFT installer file to manually
install Flash '203' for Windows 8.0 and 8.1 optionally in lieu of using
Windows Update.

i.e. the files are available from MSFT in their Download Center
- whenever a new Flash is available Microsoft releases a new KB
article at the same time as the update is pushed down via Windows Update
for 8.0/8.1....The KB includes links for the updated Microsoft installer
files (*.msu format) to download the latest Flash for end-user manual
installation (separate and independent from Windows Update)



--
...winston
msft mvp windows experience
  #7  
Old July 12th 15, 12:49 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
Keith Nuttle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,589
Default Windows 8 - Latest Version

On 7/12/2015 4:31 AM, . . .winston wrote:
Bill Bradshaw wrote:
Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill Bradshaw wrote:




Thanks, it is updated. I also run windows 7 computers and I am able to
run the flash installer on them. I guess until now I did understand
flash was built into IE 11. Thanks.


Well....while others have stated that for Windows 8.0/8.1-IE11 it is
necessary to update Flash via Windows Update....that info is only
partially correct.

Win 8.0 and 8.1 can be manually updated but not via the installer file
provided by Adobe.

For the version you referenced '203'

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065823
- provides links for downloading the MSFT installer file to manually
install Flash '203' for Windows 8.0 and 8.1 optionally in lieu of using
Windows Update.

i.e. the files are available from MSFT in their Download Center
- whenever a new Flash is available Microsoft releases a new KB
article at the same time as the update is pushed down via Windows Update
for 8.0/8.1....The KB includes links for the updated Microsoft installer
files (*.msu format) to download the latest Flash for end-user manual
installation (separate and independent from Windows Update)



It is easier to just not use Adobe Flash and then allow it only when all
else fails
  #8  
Old July 12th 15, 02:39 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
Char Jackson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,451
Default Windows 8 - Latest Version

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 07:49:12 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

It is easier to just not use Adobe Flash and then allow it only when all
else fails


IMHO, if you're going to be using it, even if only in limited circumstances,
it's probably a good idea to keep it updated.

  #9  
Old July 12th 15, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8
Paul
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,281
Default Windows 8 - Latest Version

Char Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 07:49:12 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

It is easier to just not use Adobe Flash and then allow it only when all
else fails


IMHO, if you're going to be using it, even if only in limited circumstances,
it's probably a good idea to keep it updated.


My browser is doing version checking, and deactivates the
thing if it is out of date. It's possible to get a warning,
when a new one comes out.

I installed 180, and it worked for a day or so. Then I was
getting the "deactivated" status again. I manually activated
it for a few days, not seeing an update file in the Archive
directory at Adobe. Looking at the distribution directory,
I could see a newer version coming in there.

I don't particularly like any in-browser update methods.
Which is why I use any other method I can find.

Paul
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.