A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Customizing Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Computer "looses" USB devices when busy

Old March 18th 09, 03:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
Michael Moser
external usenet poster

Default Computer "looses" USB devices when busy

I have again and again the very nasty effect on my computer that it "looses" the mouse when I start a specific, very CPU intensive task.

By "loosing" I mean, that I hear the ding-dong sound as if I had unplugged my SUB mouse, it then (of course) remains unresponsive for like 30 seconds and then I hear the dong-ding again (as if deluged) and then things are more or less back to normal. This happens reproducibly when starting up a very CPU-intensive application, which, alas, does its main job as a Windows "service". Apparently these have higher priority and then not only cause the system to react slowly but even so slow, that they can't handle USB devices properly any more.

Since I didn't find any way to lower the service's priority: can one alternatively somehow boost the USB-handler's priority, so that it's higher than that of the service? If so: how? And what driver or executable would that be?

Michael

Ads