A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Security and Administration with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Internet Access Blocked for Limited Users under IE

Old June 11th 04, 05:41 AM
Bill3888
external usenet poster

Default Internet Access Blocked for Limited Users under IE

I have a problem with limited accounts being able to access the internet under IE as a Limited account -
- First I tried adding passwords to them , still won't allow use of IE -
- next I switched them to administartors, worked fine, -
-changed them back to limited with pass word, it worked until I logged them off and logged them back on, then no use of IE -
IE starts up, just won't allow access to the internet --
-any help out there -
looks like a lot of people have this problem -
cable (always connected)
IE won't allow access to the web but if you go to Media Player and ask it to check on updates it allows it to connect and check!!!! Only IE evidently restricts access!
I've followed all the prvious messages under simular complaints and NO-ONE has provided a viable answer!!!! Someone out there has to has figured this out! Both of my Company Computer Managers have given up! Thanks in advance!
Ads
Old June 11th 04, 11:41 AM
Parlo
external usenet poster

Have you tried checking the access control list (privileges) on the iexplorer.exe file found in
c:\program-files/internet explorer directory
you will see a window with your users names in it and under these you will see some grant/deny type tick
windows if you can only see the administrator, then add their names to the list and give them read+execute
permission, see if that solves your problem.

Parlo

"Bill3888" wrote in message
I have a problem with limited accounts being able to access the internet under IE as a Limited account -
-changed them back to limited with pass word, it worked until I logged them off and logged them back on,

then no use of IE -
-any help out there -
cable (always connected)
IE won't allow access to the web but if you go to Media Player and ask it to check on updates it allows

it to connect and check!!!! Only IE evidently restricts access!
I've followed all the prvious messages under simular complaints and NO-ONE has provided a viable

answer!!!! Someone out there has to has figured this out! Both of my Company Computer Managers have
given up! Thanks in advance!

Old June 13th 04, 12:41 AM
Bill3888
external usenet poster

Can't find the riviledges part of iexplore.exe - looked under property and options? Can you be more specific?? Thanks

"Parlo" wrote:

Have you tried checking the access control list (privileges) on the iexplorer.exe file found in
c:\program-files/internet explorer directory
you will see a window with your users names in it and under these you will see some grant/deny type tick
windows if you can only see the administrator, then add their names to the list and give them read+execute
permission, see if that solves your problem.

Parlo

"Bill3888" wrote in message
-changed them back to limited with pass word, it worked until I logged them off and logged them back on,

then no use of IE -
-any help out there -
cable (always connected)
IE won't allow access to the web but if you go to Media Player and ask it to check on updates it allows

it to connect and check!!!! Only IE evidently restricts access!
I've followed all the prvious messages under simular complaints and NO-ONE has provided a viable

answer!!!! Someone out there has to has figured this out! Both of my Company Computer Managers have
given up! Thanks in advance!