A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Windows 10 » Windows 10 Help Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Outrage as bins overflow with Brits' out-of-date food bought incoronavirus panic

Old March 29th 20, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
😉 Good Guy 😉
external usenet poster

Default Outrage as bins overflow with Brits' out-of-date food bought incoronavirus panic

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Shoppers who stockpiled food have been slammed after photos emerged
online of out-of-date supermarket food dumped in bins.

Photos of the food have been shared far and wide on social media,
showing packets of bread, cheese, fresh bananas, and even burgers
still in their wrapping on top of a bulging Morrison's bag next to the
bins.

It comes as supermarkets impose strict limits on the number of items
that can be purchaseD and give priority to vulnerable customers in
response to fury over Brits' panic buying when the pandemic began.

WASTE OF MONEY FOR THEIR STUPIDITY!!!!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-outrage-bins-pictured-filled-21773469

--
With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Ads
Old March 29th 20, 02:30 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
NY[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Outrage as bins overflow with Brits' out-of-date food bought in coronavirus panic

I thought this might happen. Stockpiling frozen or tinned food, or toilet rolls, makes sense, even if it's selfish when it causes supermarkets to run out. At least those items don't perish.

But stockpiling perishable food is just ludicrous. The last time I was in a supermarket was about 2 weeks ago, before the UK imposed lockdown, and there were lots of empty shelves. Surprisingly, there were supplies of factory-made bread (though not bread baked in-store, which is nicer), and yet there was no bread flour. I'm surprised that so many people are prepared to bake their own bread: I'd have thought that in a crisis like Covid-19, the sort of people who have the mentality to stockpile would be the ones who would want the easiest, least labour-intensive products.

I'm not sure what the situation is now, because we're being very good and getting all our shopping (apart from things that are out of stock!) by supermarket delivery. The delivery driver said he's seen people buying vast quantities of fresh veg - and that doesn't survive freezing unless you take great care to blanch it, so when they come to thaw it they will have a mush.

But getting a supermarket slot is proving almost impossible: every day at midnight, my wife is going online to the various supermarket chains as they release a new day's delivery slots, and has never yet found *any* that are free, even just a few seconds past midnight. Some supermarkets are better than others. They really need to start taking bookings for further into the future, so you can look *once* and book maybe three or four weeks ahead, rather having to go back *every day* on the offchance that you'll be lucky to find a slot for delivery in the next few days.

The one mistake we made in the UK, and I'm sure it's happened in other countries as well, was not imposing limits (and having police to enforce them) early enough on the number of items that could be bought. Apparently some people have even been buying excessive amounts with the specific intention of causing a shortage and then making money by selling toilet rolls etc at greatly increased prices on eBay.

Covid-19 is certainly bringing out the worst in some people - but also the best in others: it's not all bad. Local one-off traders (ie not supermarkets) who have shops near us have started advertising deliveries of bread, meat etc. And we're pooling our supermarket deliveries so if someone is lucky enough to get a delivery slot, they will add a few items that neighbours want. Restaurants (which have had to close to dining-in) have started offering takeaway deliveries so they can continue to make a living and satisfy a need: the secret is to adapt to the ever-changing situation.

So far we've not suffering from claustrophobia in the lockdown: we've got a big garden and a lot of tasks in it which need to be done. And my wife can easily work from home - it saves her a long commute!

It is tantalising to live only about 5 miles from the sea but not to be able to go for a walk along the beach. When we did go out the other day (for an "approved journey" to get tablets from the doctor's surgery) we were able to enjoy a brief glimpse of the surrounding countryside and thought "we need to treasure this view - it may be a while before we see it again".

Before the lockdown, there were a lot of mixed messages: the National Trust and English Heritage, which own various stately homes and ruined castles with large grounds, were advertising that their grounds would be open to everyone (not just members) so people could go out for walks in isolation. And the public reacted to this by converging on every car park for every bit of parkland, and jamming all the roads. While people *may* be able to keep the regulation 2 metres / 6 feet from each other once they are *in* the parks, they still have to be much closer as they are trying to find parking spaces. Some people are very thick. If I'd decided to go somewhere with nice scenery and good walking, but I found that the roads leading to it were clogged with traffic, I'd rethink and go somewhere else - or go back home. But no, many roads had more traffic queueing than has ever been seen before even during summer holidays. That is what provoked Boris to issue his lockdown rules.

Is the stockpiling of perishable and non-perishable items specifically a British problem? I'd imagine that human nature is the same the world over and people everywhere will try to buy enough to last them through a lockdown.

"😉 Good Guy 😉" wrote in message ...

Shoppers who stockpiled food have been slammed after photos emerged online of out-of-date supermarket food dumped in bins.

Photos of the food have been shared far and wide on social media, showing packets of bread, cheese, fresh bananas, and even burgers still in their wrapping on top of a bulging Morrison's bag next to the bins.

It comes as supermarkets impose strict limits on the number of items that can be purchased and give priority to vulnerable customers in response to fury over Brits' panic buying when the pandemic began.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-outrage-bins-pictured-filled-21773469
Old March 29th 20, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
pyotr filipivich
external usenet poster

Default Outrage as bins overflow with Brits' out-of-date food bought in coronavirus panic

"NY" on Sun, 29 Mar 2020 14:30:22 +0100 typed in
alt.windows7.general the following:

Shoppers who stockpiled food have been slammed after photos emerged online of out-of-date supermarket food dumped in bins.

Photos of the food have been shared far and wide on social media, showing packets of bread, cheese, fresh bananas, and even burgers still in their wrapping on top of a bulging Morrison's bag next to the bins.

It comes as supermarkets impose strict limits on the number of items that can be purchased and give priority to vulnerable customers in response to fury over Brits' panic buying when the pandemic began.

Nearby grocer puts their "expired" produce out back for whomever
calls first. I asked, a lady is feeding her animals. I figure that's
better than me just feeding my compost pile.
--
pyotr filipivich
Next month's Panel: Graft - Boon or blessing?
Old March 29th 20, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
😉 Good Guy 😉
external usenet poster

Default Outrage as bins overflow with Brits' out-of-date food bought incoronavirus panic

On 29/03/2020 14:30, NY wrote:
The one mistake we made in the UK, and I'm sure it's happened in other
countries as well, was not imposing limits (and having police to
enforce them) early enough on the number of items that could be
bought. Apparently some people have even been buying excessive amounts
with the specific intention of causing a shortage and then making
money by selling toilet rolls etc at greatly increased prices on eBay.

*The only way to stop people buying more than their "immediate" needs is
to charge premium prices. For example, the first item is charged at the
normal retail price; Second item is charged a premium of 20% so a £1,00
item would cost £1.20. 3rd item is charged a premium of another 20% but
on £1.20 so the price becomes: £1.44; 4th item carries another premium
of 20% on £1.44 so the price becomes: £1.73 and so on. The price is
increased at the compound rate of 20% each time. People would give up
or they could start queuing again for the normal price but the waiting
would make them think twice.* *Buying 4 items in the above example would
cost them: £5.37. Of course most prices these days cost more than £1.00
anyway so the premium price would become prohibitive.**
**Also, the discount for bulk buying should be stopped until the
production level becomes "normal".*

--
With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Old March 30th 20, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
John Wesley Harding[_2_]
external usenet poster

😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
On 29/03/2020 14:30, NY wrote:
The one mistake we made in the UK, and I'm sure it's happened in other
countries as well, was not imposing limits (and having police to
enforce them) early enough on the number of items that could be
bought. Apparently some people have even been buying excessive amounts
with the specific intention of causing a shortage and then making
money by selling toilet rolls etc at greatly increased prices on eBay.

*The only way to stop people buying more than their "immediate" needs is
to charge premium prices.Â* For example, the first item is charged at the
normal retail price;Â* Second item is charged a premium of 20% so a £1,00
item would cost £1.20.Â* 3rd item is charged a premium of another 20% but
on £1.20 so the price becomes: £1.44;Â* 4th item carries another premium
of 20% on £1.44 so the price becomes: £1.73 and so on.Â* The price is
increased at the compound rate of 20% each time.Â*Â* People would give up
or they could start queuing again for the normal price but the waiting
would make them think twice.* *Buying 4 items in the above example would
cost them: £5.37.Â* Of course most prices these days cost more than £1.00
anyway so the premium price would become prohibitive.**

In Spain, you can't buy more than three of the same product. Your "plan"
would only work with poor people.
Old March 30th 20, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10
Steve
external usenet poster

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 17:33:57 +0200, John Wesley Harding
wrote:

? Good Guy ? wrote:

[...]

In Spain, you can't buy more than three of the same product. Your "plan"
would only work with poor people.

Some, if not all, supermarkets in the UK are doing the
same now.
Old March 30th 20, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Peter Jason
external usenet poster

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 13:21:09 +0100, ? Good Guy ?
wrote:

It's all because the supermarkets are making a fortune from the
situation!
Old March 30th 20, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster

Default Outrage as bins overflow with Brits' out-of-date food boughtin coronavirus panic

Peter Jason wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 13:21:09 +0100, ? Good Guy ?
wrote:

It's all because the supermarkets are making a fortune from the
situation!

They are giving their employees a raise too though.

Presumably to keep them coming to work.

I got to see one of the cashes fitted with the Plexiglas
shield the other day. It's to prevent customers "breathing"
on the cashier. She was wearing gloves, but at least they
were still taking cash. I didn't get what I drove to the
store to get, but that's the new normal.

Paul

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: