A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » The Basics
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Dial-up dilemmas - icon but no access

Old November 2nd 09, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Dorothy Koval
external usenet poster

Default Dial-up dilemmas - icon but no access

We're still on dial-up in northern Vermont (we went from 50 mbps to 28.8 when we got our new computers, presumably because of old telephone lines and new modems). Sometimes it's tolerable, but quite often, even though the icon in the tray shows a connection, the computer somehow goes offline and we have to "disconnect" and start again. Sometimes that works, sometimes we have to do it several times. I have a Dell laptop, my husband has an HP desktop, both running XP (mine Pro).

I can usually get my email and most internet pages eventually, if I don't try for video. But lately he can't even get email (he uses Thunderbird). That and sometimes Internet searches is all he uses the computer for, so there is plenty of space on the hd and he really doesn't agitate the system much, just checks his mail a couple of times a day. We both have Webroot Internet Security Essentials anti-virus, which I think is overkill for him at least (it takes so long to load!), but it doesn't show any viruses or malware.

What can he do?? Thanks for any ides!

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
C# Speech Recognition Stock Quote app with SAPI
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ition-sto.aspx
Ads