A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows 7 » Windows 7 Forum
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

references for changing to Win7 from XP?



 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old January 8th 19, 06:59 PM posted to alt.windows7.general
Ken Blake[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,122
Default references for changing to Win7 from XP?

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 09:42:30 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ken Blake on Tue, 08 Jan 2019 07:57:08 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 17:27:05 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ken Blake on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:43:07 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 09:58:50 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
Ken Blake on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 08:00:28 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
But when I'm having to stop what I've done for a long time, to
find out where/how to do it "here" - it throws me out. Very much like
getting a new car, and the light switch and wiper controls are
"backwards." Do not tell me that it is 'better'.
Better or not, to me, it's the same thing. Every time I've gotten a
new car, it took me only a few minutes to learn the difference from my
old one. Even if I rent a car, I get comfortable with its controls
very quickly.

And muscle memory - where you automatically reach (because for the
last ten years, that is where it was), and in the new car, it isn't
there. Ever stall a car out, because you forgot about the clutch
(Your regular car not having one), and in the 'emergency' you didn't
have time to think about it?

No, but I've stalled rental cars in Europe simply because it had been
so long since I drove a car with a clutch.

Exactly, you'd "forgotten" abut that 'detail'.



No. I hadn't forgotten about anything. I was way out of practice and
lost my skills at changing gears. I still knew exactly how to do it.


Right. In this case you were going back to an older version of
"car interface", so it came back to you.



Wrong. Nothing "came back" to me. It was never gone. I was still able
to do it. Nine times out of ten, I did it with no problem, but every
once in a while, being out of practice, I did it somewhat clumsily and
I stalled.

That was completely different from what you said: "But when I'm having
to stop what I've done for a long time, to find out where/how to do it
'here' - it throws me out. Very much like getting a new car, and the
light switch and wiper controls are 'backwards' " and "you forgot
about the clutch (Your regular car not having one), and in the
'emergency' you didn't have time to think about it?I knew exactly
where the clutch pedal was and exactly how to use it."

I haven't driven a car with a manual transmission in ten or fifteen
years. But put me behind the wheel of one right now, and I could still
do it without a problem, since I've forgotten nothing about how to do
it (although I probably would stall every now and then because I
switched gears clumsily--*not* because I "forgot about the clutch").
Ads
  #32  
Old January 8th 19, 10:57 PM posted to alt.windows7.general
Stan Brown
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,865
Default How to (safely) run Out-of-Support Windows versions? (was: references for changing to Win7 from XP?)

On 6 Jan 2019 20:10:52 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

If you don't get any security updates, then how do you keep your
system 'safe'? Just by using Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware software? Other
means?


* Everybody thinks it's equivalent to wearing a tinfoil that, but
I do nearly all my web surfing without Javascript. (Only my
banks and Amazon regularly require it.)

* Flash is in "click to enable, every time" mode in my browser.

* AdBlock Plus prevents injected ads from being seen, let alone
executing malicious code.

* I have antivirus running in "real-time protection mode", and in
addition I do a Malwarebytes scan at frequent intervals.
Malwarebytes occasionally finds a false positive, but neither
one has ever found a real positive.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...
  #33  
Old January 9th 19, 08:52 PM posted to alt.windows7.general
pyotr filipivich
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 584
Default references for changing to Win7 from XP?

Ken Blake on Tue, 08 Jan 2019 10:59:56 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 09:42:30 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ken Blake on Tue, 08 Jan 2019 07:57:08 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 17:27:05 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ken Blake on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:43:07 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 09:58:50 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
Ken Blake on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 08:00:28 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
But when I'm having to stop what I've done for a long time, to
find out where/how to do it "here" - it throws me out. Very much like
getting a new car, and the light switch and wiper controls are
"backwards." Do not tell me that it is 'better'.
Better or not, to me, it's the same thing. Every time I've gotten a
new car, it took me only a few minutes to learn the difference from my
old one. Even if I rent a car, I get comfortable with its controls
very quickly.

And muscle memory - where you automatically reach (because for the
last ten years, that is where it was), and in the new car, it isn't
there. Ever stall a car out, because you forgot about the clutch
(Your regular car not having one), and in the 'emergency' you didn't
have time to think about it?

No, but I've stalled rental cars in Europe simply because it had been
so long since I drove a car with a clutch.

Exactly, you'd "forgotten" abut that 'detail'.


No. I hadn't forgotten about anything. I was way out of practice and
lost my skills at changing gears. I still knew exactly how to do it.


Right. In this case you were going back to an older version of
"car interface", so it came back to you.



Wrong. Nothing "came back" to me. It was never gone. I was still able
to do it. Nine times out of ten, I did it with no problem, but every
once in a while, being out of practice, I did it somewhat clumsily and
I stalled.

That was completely different from what you said: "But when I'm having
to stop what I've done for a long time, to find out where/how to do it
'here' - it throws me out. Very much like getting a new car, and the
light switch and wiper controls are 'backwards' " and "you forgot
about the clutch (Your regular car not having one), and in the
'emergency' you didn't have time to think about it?I knew exactly
where the clutch pedal was and exactly how to use it."

I haven't driven a car with a manual transmission in ten or fifteen
years. But put me behind the wheel of one right now, and I could still
do it without a problem, since I've forgotten nothing about how to do
it (although I probably would stall every now and then because I
switched gears clumsily--*not* because I "forgot about the clutch").


Sigh. I'm not sure why, but you seem to keep missing the point.
The actions I took on a daily basis in using Windows XP _do not work_
in Windows 7.
- The icon I am looking for, is not there.
- The navigation window I look for, is not open.
Call it better all you want, but if I swap out your keyboard for a
different layout "because it is 'better'" and "you can easily pick it
up", doesn't change the fact that the way which did work is no longer.
"It wasn't broken, it didn't need fixing."


--
pyotr filipivich
Next month's Panel: Graft - Boon or blessing?
  #34  
Old January 9th 19, 09:47 PM posted to alt.windows7.general
Mayayana
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,327
Default references for changing to Win7 from XP?

"pyotr filipivich" wrote

| Sigh. I'm not sure why, but you seem to keep missing the point.
| The actions I took on a daily basis in using Windows XP _do not work_
| in Windows 7.

He tends to be defensive, even in the face of your
gentle manner. I know what you mean. My first pickup
had the horn near the outside, so the position
depended on the turn of the wheel! I finally got used
to that and then the next one had the horn back in
the center.

Similarly, my emergency brake used to be under the
dashboard. Now it's on the floor as a pull-up arm.
I practice using it once in a while so that I won't reach
for the dash in an emergency.

Unfortunately, a lot of the changes in Windows are
merely frivolous or committee decisions. Why do they
keep changing the app data folder path or the program
files path? Why do they keep changing the left side
panel in dialogues and folder windows, then restrict
access to customize them? No reason, really. Except
maybe that most people judge the update by the GUI.
That's why so many people were mad when they bought
Vista limited, with no Aero. With the "classic" GUI it
looked like XP. Why spend all that money if it doesn't
"look like the future"?

I customized the 5 quick-change options in dialogues
in Win7 at one point. I think they were things I've never
used, like Documents, My Pictures, etc. But somehow I
ended up with 2 desktop icons. I keep meaning to fix
that but just don't get around to figuring out the tweak
all over again.

Other changes are done with good intentions but are
not necessarily successful. For instance, you have to
jump through hoops to get the Quick Launch toolbar
back in Win7. The ability to "pin" is not the same. They
broke it deliberately to stop badly behaving installers
from filling up Quick Launch without asking. But they
ended up breaking well behaved installers.
I still make installers with a QL icon option, but most
people won't benefit because they don't understand that
it's broken, nor that they can get it back.


  #35  
Old January 9th 19, 10:04 PM posted to alt.windows7.general
Ken Blake[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,122
Default references for changing to Win7 from XP?

On Wed, 09 Jan 2019 11:52:34 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ken Blake on Tue, 08 Jan 2019 10:59:56 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 09:42:30 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ken Blake on Tue, 08 Jan 2019 07:57:08 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 17:27:05 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Ken Blake on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:43:07 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 09:58:50 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
Ken Blake on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 08:00:28 -0700
typed in alt.windows7.general the following:
But when I'm having to stop what I've done for a long time, to
find out where/how to do it "here" - it throws me out. Very much like
getting a new car, and the light switch and wiper controls are
"backwards." Do not tell me that it is 'better'.
Better or not, to me, it's the same thing. Every time I've gotten a
new car, it took me only a few minutes to learn the difference from my
old one. Even if I rent a car, I get comfortable with its controls
very quickly.

And muscle memory - where you automatically reach (because for the
last ten years, that is where it was), and in the new car, it isn't
there. Ever stall a car out, because you forgot about the clutch
(Your regular car not having one), and in the 'emergency' you didn't
have time to think about it?

No, but I've stalled rental cars in Europe simply because it had been
so long since I drove a car with a clutch.

Exactly, you'd "forgotten" abut that 'detail'.


No. I hadn't forgotten about anything. I was way out of practice and
lost my skills at changing gears. I still knew exactly how to do it.

Right. In this case you were going back to an older version of
"car interface", so it came back to you.



Wrong. Nothing "came back" to me. It was never gone. I was still able
to do it. Nine times out of ten, I did it with no problem, but every
once in a while, being out of practice, I did it somewhat clumsily and
I stalled.

That was completely different from what you said: "But when I'm having
to stop what I've done for a long time, to find out where/how to do it
'here' - it throws me out. Very much like getting a new car, and the
light switch and wiper controls are 'backwards' " and "you forgot
about the clutch (Your regular car not having one), and in the
'emergency' you didn't have time to think about it?I knew exactly
where the clutch pedal was and exactly how to use it."

I haven't driven a car with a manual transmission in ten or fifteen
years. But put me behind the wheel of one right now, and I could still
do it without a problem, since I've forgotten nothing about how to do
it (although I probably would stall every now and then because I
switched gears clumsily--*not* because I "forgot about the clutch").


Sigh. I'm not sure why, but you seem to keep missing the point.
The actions I took on a daily basis in using Windows XP _do not work_
in Windows 7.
- The icon I am looking for, is not there.
- The navigation window I look for, is not open.
Call it better all you want, but if I swap out your keyboard for a
different layout "because it is 'better'" and "you can easily pick it
up", doesn't change the fact that the way which did work is no longer.
"It wasn't broken, it didn't need fixing."




What was your original point is irrelevant to all the comments I've
made in this thread. If you say "The actions I took on a daily basis
in using Windows XP _do not work_ in Windows 7" I'll believe you.

I was never responding to your original point. I was responding to
other points you made later and are completely wrong, as far as I'm
concerned.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.