A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Windows Service Pack 2
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

sp2



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 29th 05, 04:41 PM
RH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default sp2

This may be a stupid question...but uhm...why cant I find a link FROM the
link that says "buy windows xp sp2 CD" here. lmao...I click on the link and I
do not see anythin relevant in the next page. 8|...

Thanks.
Ads
  #2  
Old August 29th 05, 06:58 PM
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Where is the link?
Do you want Windows XP with SP-2?
If so, you can buy it most places that sell computers, software etc.

If you need SP-2, it is free, Step 1 on this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"RH" wrote in message
...
This may be a stupid question...but uhm...why cant I find a link FROM the
link that says "buy windows xp sp2 CD" here. lmao...I click on the link
and I
do not see anythin relevant in the next page. 8|...

Thanks.



  #3  
Old August 29th 05, 09:47 PM
RH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No I want to buy the SP2 CD. I have SP2 already, but I like buying the CD
too. On the microsoft website they have a link to it, but the page it takes
me to has no relevant information on buying the CD.

8|


"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

Where is the link?
Do you want Windows XP with SP-2?
If so, you can buy it most places that sell computers, software etc.

If you need SP-2, it is free, Step 1 on this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"RH" wrote in message
...
This may be a stupid question...but uhm...why cant I find a link FROM the
link that says "buy windows xp sp2 CD" here. lmao...I click on the link
and I
do not see anythin relevant in the next page. 8|...

Thanks.




  #4  
Old August 29th 05, 10:06 PM
Shenan Stanley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

RH wrote:
No I want to buy the SP2 CD. I have SP2 already, but I like buying
the CD too. On the microsoft website they have a link to it, but the
page it takes me to has no relevant information on buying the CD.


What's this with BUYING the Service Pack 2 (Contains nothing but the Service
Pack 2 patch) CD?

DOWNLOAD it yourself and burn it to CD.. (Download the Full Installer File,
Write that file to CD.)

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

It seems Microsoft has gotten rid of the CD for now - at least I cannot find
the order page any longer. My guess? They are getting ready to release
another patch CD - with more on it. After all - SP2 has been out for a
year - how long do you continue to give out a free CD to people with
something they should have gotten by now?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


  #5  
Old August 29th 05, 10:13 PM
RH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"out a free CD to people with
something they should have gotten by now?"

lol its not free. It costs about 7 bucks I believe. I just like having the
CD, I believe it also comes in MSI form not just EXE.

*shrugs* I guess its just a fetish. lmfao thanks.
**********

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

RH wrote:
No I want to buy the SP2 CD. I have SP2 already, but I like buying
the CD too. On the microsoft website they have a link to it, but the
page it takes me to has no relevant information on buying the CD.


What's this with BUYING the Service Pack 2 (Contains nothing but the Service
Pack 2 patch) CD?

DOWNLOAD it yourself and burn it to CD.. (Download the Full Installer File,
Write that file to CD.)

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

It seems Microsoft has gotten rid of the CD for now - at least I cannot find
the order page any longer. My guess? They are getting ready to release
another patch CD - with more on it. After all - SP2 has been out for a
year - how long do you continue to give out a free CD to people with
something they should have gotten by now?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html



  #6  
Old August 29th 05, 10:30 PM
Shenan Stanley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

RH wrote:
"out a free CD to people with
something they should have gotten by now?"

lol its not free. It costs about 7 bucks I believe. I just like
having the CD, I believe it also comes in MSI form not just EXE.

*shrugs* I guess its just a fetish. lmfao thanks.


The dozens I got were free..
The hundreds of people I suggested it to got it free..

Where did you get $7 from? Someone was running a racket or you live in a
place where shipping was so outrageous, it couldn't be mailed to you for
free?

You can extract the EXE into its component parts easily enough - if you
like.
You can expand it, slipstream with it and who knows what else with those
wonderful command line switches...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


  #7  
Old August 29th 05, 10:39 PM
RH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

LOL ok. Thank you. And...I guess that was the shipping, maybe Micro$oft over
charged for a CD to California :P

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

RH wrote:
"out a free CD to people with
something they should have gotten by now?"

lol its not free. It costs about 7 bucks I believe. I just like
having the CD, I believe it also comes in MSI form not just EXE.

*shrugs* I guess its just a fetish. lmfao thanks.


The dozens I got were free..
The hundreds of people I suggested it to got it free..

Where did you get $7 from? Someone was running a racket or you live in a
place where shipping was so outrageous, it couldn't be mailed to you for
free?

You can extract the EXE into its component parts easily enough - if you
like.
You can expand it, slipstream with it and who knows what else with those
wonderful command line switches...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html



  #8  
Old August 29th 05, 10:58 PM
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Apparently Microsoft recently removed the information for the SP-2 CD.
There never was a cost for the CD or shipping, at least not in North
America.

Myself as well as my friends received them absolutely free.
Where did you hear about a $7 cost?

You can still download as referenced in my previous link.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"RH" wrote in message
news
No I want to buy the SP2 CD. I have SP2 already, but I like buying the CD
too. On the microsoft website they have a link to it, but the page it
takes
me to has no relevant information on buying the CD.

8|


"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

Where is the link?
Do you want Windows XP with SP-2?
If so, you can buy it most places that sell computers, software etc.

If you need SP-2, it is free, Step 1 on this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org



  #9  
Old August 30th 05, 08:45 AM
Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

RH wrote:

(snip)
I just like having the CD, I believe it also comes in MSI form
not just EXE.

Hi,

There is no standalone SP2 msi file on the CD.

The msi file is inside the full SP2 install file (266 MB) that you can
download from Microsoft (the same file that also is on the CD).

Note that you will only be able to use the MSI file from a Group Policy
based deployment of SP2.

See "Deployment Information" here
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../winxpsp2.mspx

and

Deploying Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../spdeploy.mspx

(Scenario 4: Using Windows Installer and Group Policy to install the
service pack)



--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not "burning" to Cd after SP2 upgrade \old\ devildog Windows Service Pack 2 4 December 2nd 04 05:33 PM
Not "burning" to Cd after SP2 upgrade \old\ devildog Windows XP Help and Support 0 November 30th 04 05:15 PM
SP2 Boot failure, system freeze, AGPCPQ.SYS, AGP440.SYS lock-ups. Trebor Windows Service Pack 2 2 October 19th 04 07:55 PM
Has SP2 been issued by MS yet? tom-islander Windows Service Pack 2 4 September 6th 04 12:07 AM
I want to Remove Windows XP SP2 Tammy Windows Service Pack 2 22 August 30th 04 10:45 PM






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.