A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Security and Administration with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Windows Firewall startup - Suprising problem.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 23rd 10, 02:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
stan lee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Windows Firewall startup - Suprising problem.

Hello Gentle People,

I run Windows XP. SP3. New Avast 5 (free edition) Anti Virus,
SuperAntispyware, Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes. I don't know whether
Avast and Windows Firewall may have conflicts buit I have recently noticed
that at bootup Avast appears with a warning that the system is unprotected.
No firewall is on. Then Windows firewall kicks in with a warning from
Security Center that No firewall is on then after about an unduly long
period of thirty seconds, sometimes quite shorter. I have never experienced
this unusual behaviour before. It has become a nuisance problem.

I am thankful for any advice and/or suggestions with a view to finding a
solution to this problem as it severely lengthens the bootup.

Stan Lee.
--
Paralegal
Ads
  #2  
Old April 23rd 10, 02:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
Shenan Stanley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,523
Default Windows Firewall startup - Suprising problem.

stan wrote:
Hello Gentle People,

I run Windows XP. SP3. New Avast 5 (free edition) Anti Virus,
SuperAntispyware, Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes. I don't know
whether Avast and Windows Firewall may have conflicts buit I have
recently noticed that at bootup Avast appears with a warning that
the system is unprotected. No firewall is on. Then Windows firewall
kicks in with a warning from Security Center that No firewall is on
then after about an unduly long period of thirty seconds,
sometimes quite shorter. I have never experienced this unusual
behaviour before. It has become a nuisance problem.

I am thankful for any advice and/or suggestions with a view to
finding a solution to this problem as it severely lengthens the
bootup.


Drop Avast.
Get Avira.

Drop SpywareBlaster.
Keep MalwareBytes (consider getting it for active protection.)
You can keep SuperAntiSpyware if you wish - or only download/install the
freeware version when you think you have been infested (anything is
possible.) I wouldn't keep it running all the time (unless you bought it.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


  #3  
Old April 23rd 10, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
Twayne[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,073
Default Windows Firewall startup - Suprising problem.

In ,
Shenan Stanley typed:
stan wrote:
Hello Gentle People,

I run Windows XP. SP3. New Avast 5 (free edition) Anti
Virus, SuperAntispyware, Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes.
I don't know whether Avast and Windows Firewall may have
conflicts buit I have recently noticed that at bootup
Avast appears with a warning that the system is
unprotected. No firewall is on. Then Windows firewall
kicks in with a warning from Security Center that No
firewall is on then after about an unduly long period of
thirty seconds, sometimes quite shorter. I have never
experienced this unusual behaviour before. It has become a
nuisance problem. I am thankful for any advice and/or suggestions with a
view to finding a solution to this problem as it severely
lengthens the bootup.


....

... I wouldn't keep
it running all the time (unless you bought it.)


Who cares what YOU might do? WHY you might consider something could be
useful, but what you said is pretty much nothing there.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect you are going in the wrong direction
here. The actual problem is more basic than your suggestions cover. IMO.


--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP




  #4  
Old April 23rd 10, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
Shenan Stanley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,523
Default Windows Firewall startup - Suprising problem.

Twayne wrote:
Who cares what YOU might do? WHY you might consider something
could be useful, but what you said is pretty much nothing there.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect you are going in the wrong
direction here. The actual problem is more basic than your
suggestions cover. IMO.


I was watching you, trying to emulate.

Must have overdone if it was useful to even myself. Sorry.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


  #5  
Old May 7th 10, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
stan lee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Windows Firewall startup - Suprising problem.

..
Hello All,

The delay in replying due to pressure of work is regretted. I have moved
from Avast to Avira however the problem still existed. I changed to AVG free
and disabled the real time scanning of SuperAntispyware. The problem now has
changed. The Local Area Connection icon on the task bar now takes an unduly
long time to show up on the task bar at bootup. I have to click on IE about
three to four times before the same shows up. That indicates to me poor
connectivity.
I viewed the "view all connections window" and unchecked and re-checked
"show icon in notification area when connected". It came up immediately but
upon reboot the icon did the same thing. I also found that the system freezes
up for a while when booting up. I thought it was the avg firewall and
disabled it to use Windows firewall. That has not helped. Seems that the
system is not booting up properly.

I shall be thankful for any suggestions with a view to solving this problem.

Thanking you.






--
Paralegal


"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

Twayne wrote:
Who cares what YOU might do? WHY you might consider something
could be useful, but what you said is pretty much nothing there.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect you are going in the wrong
direction here. The actual problem is more basic than your
suggestions cover. IMO.


I was watching you, trying to emulate.

Must have overdone if it was useful to even myself. Sorry.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.