|If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
UPnP devices not consistently detected
I'll try to give as much information as I could. If anything relevant is
missing, please ask.
In my XP SP3, when I open the Network Neighborhood, it seems like it's
having trouble detecting my UPnP enabled wireless router (TP-LINK
TL-WR841N). The device kept coming and going in the Network Neighborhood
window using "Wireless Router TL-WR841N" as the item name. i.e. shows up for
a few seconds, then disappears for a few more seconds; and it kept repeating
like that over and over.
This seems to always occurs after a few minutes of Windows boot up. At start
in the Network Neighborhood, it seems fine and I can see the other UPnP
devices which aren't mine such as plain routers, wireless routers, and media
servers. There's no problem pinging to those devices even after they're no
I've already installed the optional "Networking Services": "UPnP User
Interface", and "Internet Gateway Discovery and Control Client". I've
already checked these services and they're all running.
- Universal Plug and Play Device Host
- SSDP Discovery Service
- HTTP (checked under Device Manager's "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" node)
- Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
- Application Layer Gateway Service
- Network Location Awareness (NLA)
- Network Connections
- DHCP Client
I also noticed that the "Internet Connection" item (the internet gateway)
also having the same issue. But this doesn't affect my internet
I've checked both the Application and the System event logs but there aren't
any that came from one of the above mentioned services.
I also have tried disabling the Windows Firewall from the Control Panel, but
the router detection problem persist. I don't have other firewall software
These are some router settings that may be relevant.
- LAN: IGMP Proxy = Enabled.
- Basic Security: SPI Firewall, PPTP Passthrough, L2TP Passthrough, IPSec
Passthrough, FTP ALG, TFTP ALG, H323 ALG, RTSP ALG. All are enabled.
- Advanced Security: DoS Protection = Disabled.
- Local Management (Access by MAC address): Set to all MAC adresses.
- Binding Settings: ARP Binding = Disabled. i.e. bind IP to MAC
My internet access comes from a LAN cable with 192.168.1.1 as the internet
gateway (note: I don't own or have access to anything on the other end of
the cable). The cable is plugged into the LAN socket of my router rather
than WAN (I tried plugging it into the WAN socket but I get no internet
connectivity, so I plug it into the LAN socket instead).
My PC's LAN is statically set to 192.168.1.171, and the router's LAN IP
addresses is also statically set, to 192.168.1.116. The router's DHCP is
enabled and its IP range is set to 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.254 (also not
my decision). These IP addresses are assigned for me and for my own little
I don't have any problem regarding my internet access whatsoever. Everything
is fine except the router detection under Windows. If I use my Android
mobile phone to run a UPnP info/tool program, it can consistently detect the
UPnP devices properly and interact with them (via WiFi).