A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Microsoft Messenger
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Windows Messenger & Multiple .Net Passport e-mail accounts...

Old January 8th 04, 04:24 PM
J. Conrad
external usenet poster

Default Windows Messenger & Multiple .Net Passport e-mail accounts...

I tried to sign in to Windows Messenger. When I clicked: [File, Sign in...] a box popped up thet said: .Net Messenger Service. The e-mail address I use on Earthlink.net was the only one in the scroll box. It asked for my password. I clicked [OK] and a box
popped up saying: Signing in to .Net Messenger Service failed because the service is not compatible with this version of the program. [retry] [cancel].
After nosing around in various "helps" I found nothing that really stood out to help me. I found in control panel: user accounts: -- Set up my account to use a .Net Passport. Okay, maybe this would help me use Windows Messenger. During the set-up in Wizar
d, the e-mail I entered was a sencond address I use more frequently and not the address in the scroll-bar of the [sign in] box above. When I tried to perform [File, Sign in...] again in Windows Messenger, it did not have the wed address I had just entered
in the Wizard set-up in the scroll bar, it just had the first one. I tried this once more but the box that popped up again was the same message as befo Signing in to .Net Messenger Service failed... I really didn't know what to do at that point, but I w
anted to erase the .Net Passport account I had set up in Wizard. There was no option for this. So I tried to set-up another one (with a different address) in Wizard. This time I chose the option to allow Wizard to create a .Net Passport through hotmail. So
I created a hotmail e-mail account just to see if this would help. But no!
Now this is a big mess and I want to delete/cancel these .Net Passports because it seems that it will fail every time.
Can you help me...

1) delete the 2 (or more) .Net Passports from existence.
2) uninstall Windows Messenger from my computer (I went into control panel: Add or Remove Programs...) but for some reason it wasn't on the list of programs, even though a shortcut exists in the Windows Programs menu.
3) And/Or help me figure out how all this will work and the (one) correct .Net Passport I should use.
4) Figure out why: "Signing in to .Net Messenger Service failed because the service is not compatible with this version of the program."

I have Windows XP home edition, but I do not have Office, if this is the problem. I have no idea how to clear this mess!
Ads
Old January 8th 04, 04:24 PM
Jonathan Kay [MVP]
external usenet poster

Default Windows Messenger & Multiple .Net Passport e-mail accounts...

Greetings,

You're tryign to sign into Messenger using the built-in Windows Messenger client in Windows
XP, which unfortunately, can login to the service. All you need to do is install the latest
version, see below:

1. To remove .NET Passports from your computer, click the Start button, then click the
Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and
then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network
Passwords'. In the window that opens, you can remove accounts by clicking the passport you
wish to delete [denoted by (Passport)], and then click the 'Remove' button.
2/3/4: You just need to install the latest version of Windows Messenger from he
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

"J. Conrad" wrote in message
I tried to sign in to Windows Messenger. When I clicked: [File, Sign in...] a box popped up

thet said: .Net Messenger Service. The e-mail address I use on Earthlink.net was the only one
in the scroll box. It asked for my password. I clicked [OK] and a box popped up saying:
Signing in to .Net Messenger Service failed because the service is not compatible with this
version of the program. [retry] [cancel].
After nosing around in various "helps" I found nothing that really stood out to help me. I

found in control panel: user accounts: -- Set up my account to use a .Net Passport. Okay,
maybe this would help me use Windows Messenger. During the set-up in Wizard, the e-mail I
entered was a sencond address I use more frequently and not the address in the scroll-bar of
the [sign in] box above. When I tried to perform [File, Sign in...] again in Windows
Messenger, it did not have the wed address I had just entered in the Wizard set-up in the
scroll bar, it just had the first one. I tried this once more but the box that popped up
again was the same message as befo Signing in to .Net Messenger Service failed... I really
didn't know what to do at that point, but I wanted to erase the .Net Passport account I had
set up in Wizard. There was no option for this. So I tried to set-up another one (with a
different address) in Wizard. This time I chose the option to allow Wizard to create a .Net
Passport through hotmail. So I created a hotmail e-mail account just to see if this would
help. But no!
Now this is a big mess and I want to delete/cancel these .Net Passports because it seems

that it will fail every time.
Can you help me...

1) delete the 2 (or more) .Net Passports from existence.
2) uninstall Windows Messenger from my computer (I went into control panel: Add or Remove

Programs...) but for some reason it wasn't on the list of programs, even though a shortcut
exists in the Windows Programs menu.
3) And/Or help me figure out how all this will work and the (one) correct .Net Passport I

should use.
4) Figure out why: "Signing in to .Net Messenger Service failed because the service is not

compatible with this version of the program."

I have Windows XP home edition, but I do not have Office, if this is the problem. I have no

idea how to clear this mess!