A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Hardware and Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

£600 to upgrade

Old October 26th 05, 09:38 PM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Oct 2005
Default £600 to upgrade

Need some advice:

This is what I want, an Athlon 64 processor, 256mb graphics card, a motherboard, 1Gb RAM (currently have 512Mb DDR RAM), new case and possibliy a new soundcard but within this budget I may have to keep my Audigy 2 card I currently have and upgrade later. My hard drives are fine (I have 480Gb in total spread over 3 HDD's), got a new TFT so thats not a problem, CDR and disk drives are fine, ethernet & wireless cards are all good. I suppose I may need to buy 1 Gb DDR RAM so I'll end up having 1.5Gb in total unless you guys recommend just buying 512Mb and putting them together?

The PC will be used for a variety of things: Rendering architectural drawings, downloading music and eventually music production hence I may buy a better soundcard later on. So it needs to be an all round performer but I want it to render as quickly as possible.

Is there anything I've missed out? My budget is a bit flexible and I can add bits on later but ideally I want to keep it under £600 if possible.

Are there any barebones systems out there that are really good value at high spec or do you pay a premium for them to build it for you.

Where are the cheapest places to buy seperate parts from? Any comparison sites/shopbots you'd recommend for PC bits?

Thanks in advance for your help )
Ads