A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Hardware and Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

After XP sp2 internet connection device reports wrong status

Old October 7th 04, 07:07 PM
Papillion
external usenet poster

Default After XP sp2 internet connection device reports wrong status

Howard,
I am far from a 'network guru', my network mirros yours with the attition of
a wireless linksys print router (no computer needed) that i depend upon when
home.

I found the following to work:

1. On the linksys site there are now two very good and automatic utilities
that will ensure that your linksys firmware is up to date.They are the second
and third portings for support for almost any router.
2. Linksys ensures me that my router has a hardware firewall.
3. Therefore, you have two options:
a. Configure the microsoft firewall to 'allow' certain ports to
communicate, that is to receive unsolicited messages from each other. (way
too complicated for me now)
b. Turn 'off' the microsoft 'internal' firewalls.
c. Viola, all works again.

Finally:
a. I do have the norton 2004 virus program, and i does check all of my
incoming e-mail attachments (where 99.9 of the viruses were coming from in
the first place) In addition I do a full virus scan once a week.
b. This is Microsoft's not our problem in many ways. Becuase of its
monopoly, 92% of all destops have a microsoft operating system and MSIE.
Therefore hackers like Willy Sutton specialize on where the money is,'in the
bank'. Every time microsoft issues a vulnerability patch, it instantly alerts
the hackers what to try next. I am seriously considering an alternative
browser.

Anyhow, hope this helps. If not Linksys tech support is very good, and
unlike microsoft's it is "free".

"Howard Woodard" wrote:

I posted this to a couple of newsgroups yesterday but got no responses so I'm trying "post-holiday".

I've seen several similar posts but as the TV commercial says, "not exactly"...

I just upgraded all three of my machines to sp2 today and now I have a strange situation.

I have a Linksys wireless network with one desktop connected directly to the WAP and another desktop and one laptop connecting wireless to the WAP. My dsl modem is connected to the WAP for sharing by all. Since upgrading to sp2 the internet connection is showing "disabled". It is actually working just fine -- at least everything is using it ok. However, all three devices are showing it as disabled in My Network Connections. All will show "connected" in the Enable dialog box but the status never changes.

All of the computers were bought new with XP and the drivers are the drivers that have always been installed. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron with their TruMobil wireless adapter. One of the desktops is a new e-Machine and its ethernet adapter is connected to a Linksys wireless transmitter and the third is a Sony Vaio and its ethernet connecter goes directly into the back of the Linksys wireless access point. The dsl modem (actually a Cisco 678 router) is connected to the WAP as well. The WAP is both WAP and 4-port switch.

Yesterday, the dsl modem was showing up correctly on all three computers under My Network Connections and could be enabled and/or disabled from any of them. The only difference between then and now is that I applied sp2 to each of them. As I mentioned in my first message, I have disabled the
windows firewall feature but it made no difference.

Any ideas?

Howard

Ads