A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » General XP issues or comments
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

order in left-hand (tree) pane?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 9th 19, 03:29 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 195
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is
by name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading
by clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing
the order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Lewis: ... d'you think there's a god?
Morse: ... There are times when I wish to god there was one. (Inspector Morse)
Ads
  #2  
Old October 9th 19, 03:55 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Ken Blake[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 15:29:09 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is
by name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading
by clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing
the order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.



As far as I know, no it can't be changed. As you say, it's tree
structure. Change the sort order and the tree structure would be lost.
  #3  
Old October 9th 19, 05:10 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
GS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 157
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is by
name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading by
clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing the order
(though I think folders always stay together, before or after files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is shown,
seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.


You can manually reorder it somewhat!

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
  #4  
Old October 9th 19, 05:48 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
123456789[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 159
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default
sort order is by name, but can be changed to date, size,
or any other column heading by clicking on the column
heading, with a second such click reversing the order
(though I think folders always stay together, before or
after files).


However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree
structure is shown, seems to be (increasing) name order
only.


Anyone know if it can be changed?


For my own personal folders that I want at the top of the
list (and easy to find) I put an underscore in front of the
folder name. Like: _Photos or _Bills. They then will
appear in a separate alphabetical order at the top
of the list. If you precede them with numbers you can make
them in any order. Like: 1Photos or 2Bills. Only works with
your personal folders though. Try that with an app folder
and things will likely get very screwed up...

  #5  
Old October 9th 19, 09:13 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 195
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

In message , GS writes:
In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order
is by name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column
heading by clicking on the column heading, with a second such click
reversing the order (though I think folders always stay together,
before or after files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.


You can manually reorder it somewhat!

Only by changing names (e. g. by putting _ or numbers before them, as
"123456789" describes), unless you know otherwise!
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

To keep leaf vegetables clean and crisp, cook lightly, then plunge into iced
water (the vegetables, that is). - manual for a Russell Hobbs electric steamer
  #6  
Old October 9th 19, 09:15 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 195
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

In message , Ken Blake
writes:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 15:29:09 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is
by name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading
by clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing
the order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.



As far as I know, no it can't be changed. As you say, it's tree
structure. Change the sort order and the tree structure would be lost.


It could still be presented as a tree - just folders and subfolders
would appear in a different order. (As I said, I have no need or desire
to do it.) It wouldn't not still be a tree.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

To keep leaf vegetables clean and crisp, cook lightly, then plunge into iced
water (the vegetables, that is). - manual for a Russell Hobbs electric steamer
  #7  
Old October 9th 19, 09:31 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Ken Blake[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 21:15:54 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Ken Blake
writes:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 15:29:09 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is
by name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading
by clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing
the order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.



As far as I know, no it can't be changed. As you say, it's tree
structure. Change the sort order and the tree structure would be lost.


It could still be presented as a tree - just folders and subfolders
would appear in a different order. (As I said, I have no need or desire
to do it.) It wouldn't not still be a tree.




"Wouldn't not"? Yes, a double negative makes a positive, but I think
that that's the first time I've seen that. g

But for example, if you sorted by date created, a subfolder that
appears presently under one folder might appear in a completely
different place.
  #8  
Old October 9th 19, 10:42 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 195
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

In message , Ken Blake
writes:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 21:15:54 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Ken Blake
writes:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 15:29:09 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is
by name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading
by clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing
the order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.


As far as I know, no it can't be changed. As you say, it's tree
structure. Change the sort order and the tree structure would be lost.


It could still be presented as a tree - just folders and subfolders
would appear in a different order. (As I said, I have no need or desire
to do it.) It wouldn't not still be a tree.




"Wouldn't not"? Yes, a double negative makes a positive, but I think
that that's the first time I've seen that. g


It was deliberate!

But for example, if you sorted by date created, a subfolder that
appears presently under one folder might appear in a completely
different place.


No, the folder hierarchy would remain, just the subfolders _within_ a
folder would appear in a different order. After all, in the right-hand
pane, changing the displayed sort order doesn't suddenly show files from
a different folder.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Feudalism : It's your count that votes.
  #9  
Old October 10th 19, 12:16 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Ken Blake[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,196
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 22:42:28 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Ken Blake
writes:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 21:15:54 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Ken Blake
writes:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 15:29:09 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is
by name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading
by clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing
the order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.


As far as I know, no it can't be changed. As you say, it's tree
structure. Change the sort order and the tree structure would be lost.

It could still be presented as a tree - just folders and subfolders
would appear in a different order. (As I said, I have no need or desire
to do it.) It wouldn't not still be a tree.




"Wouldn't not"? Yes, a double negative makes a positive, but I think
that that's the first time I've seen that. g


It was deliberate!



OK.

But for example, if you sorted by date created, a subfolder that
appears presently under one folder might appear in a completely
different place.


No, the folder hierarchy would remain, just the subfolders _within_ a
folder would appear in a different order. After all, in the right-hand
pane, changing the displayed sort order doesn't suddenly show files from
a different folder.



Yes, you're right. I hadn't thought of that.
  #10  
Old October 10th 19, 11:52 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
GS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 157
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

In message , GS writes:
In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is by
name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading by
clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing the
order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.


You can manually reorder it somewhat!

Only by changing names (e. g. by putting _ or numbers before them, as
"123456789" describes), unless you know otherwise!


I just drag-n-drop to arrange things how I want them ordered; - seems that WE
remembers the positions because any time I reopen it the positions persist as I
ordered them. IOW, the tree is CUSTOM ORDERED instead of sorted by any default
means (NOTE: the default sort persists within the custom ordering of the tree
nodes).

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
  #11  
Old October 11th 19, 03:28 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Char Jackson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,014
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 18:52:47 -0400, GS wrote:

In message , GS writes:
In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is by
name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading by
clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing the
order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.

You can manually reorder it somewhat!

Only by changing names (e. g. by putting _ or numbers before them, as
"123456789" describes), unless you know otherwise!


I just drag-n-drop to arrange things how I want them ordered; - seems that WE
remembers the positions because any time I reopen it the positions persist as I
ordered them. IOW, the tree is CUSTOM ORDERED instead of sorted by any default
means (NOTE: the default sort persists within the custom ordering of the tree
nodes).


I just checked Windows Explorer in 10, 8.1, 7, and XP. None of them allowed
me to drag any of the entries in the left pane. Do you have any custom
software installed, or anything you might have done to enable dragging in
the left pane of WE? I must be missing something obvious, which wouldn't be
the first time.

  #12  
Old October 11th 19, 04:27 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
GS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 157
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 18:52:47 -0400, GS wrote:

In message , GS writes:
In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is by
name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading by
clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing the
order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.

You can manually reorder it somewhat!

Only by changing names (e. g. by putting _ or numbers before them, as
"123456789" describes), unless you know otherwise!


I just drag-n-drop to arrange things how I want them ordered; - seems that
WE remembers the positions because any time I reopen it the positions
persist as I ordered them. IOW, the tree is CUSTOM ORDERED instead of
sorted by any default means (NOTE: the default sort persists within the
custom ordering of the tree nodes).


I just checked Windows Explorer in 10, 8.1, 7, and XP. None of them allowed
me to drag any of the entries in the left pane. Do you have any custom
software installed, or anything you might have done to enable dragging in
the left pane of WE? I must be missing something obvious, which wouldn't be
the first time.


Ok, I just verified that my experience has been with (and only applies to) the
Child nodes under the *Favorites* node. Anywhere else I want nodes to appear at
the topmost position under a parent node I use the underscore character which,
by default, also follows normal sort order according to the 1st character after
the underscore.

I apologize for causing any misleads!

--
Garry

Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
  #13  
Old October 11th 19, 07:48 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Andy Burns[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,029
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

Char Jackson wrote:

I just checked Windows Explorer in 10, 8.1, 7, and XP. None of them allowed
me to drag any of the entries in the left pane.


Well, on Win10 you can drag to re-order pinned items within the 'Quick
Access' subtree, but I agree that dragging within any other parts of the
tree pane is either disallowed, or just creates a shortcut.
  #14  
Old October 11th 19, 01:30 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Mayayana
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,623
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote

| However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
| shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.
|
| Anyone know if it can be changed?
|

Isn't that what desktops and shortcuts are for? I've
never used the Folders Explorer Bar. I find it too tedious to
deal with all those tiny nodes. On XP and Win7-32 I have
a custom Explorer Bar with links to folders within folder
windows. On my desktop I have shortcuts to all drives
and several commonly used folders.

I also have whatever I'm currently working on spread out
on the desktop. I use it just like a solid desktop, taking out
the various "papers" I need for a project and then putting
them away when I'm done. So it's rare that I need more
than 2-3 clicks to get to where I want to be. Best of all,
it's intuitive, custom design. The places I go most are the
easiest to get to. The Folders Explorer Bar is just a generic
list of everything.



  #15  
Old October 11th 19, 01:30 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Char Jackson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,014
Default order in left-hand (tree) pane?

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 23:27:12 -0400, GS wrote:

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 18:52:47 -0400, GS wrote:

In message , GS writes:
In Windows Explorer, in the right-hand pane, the default sort order is by
name, but can be changed to date, size, or any other column heading by
clicking on the column heading, with a second such click reversing the
order (though I think folders always stay together, before or after
files).

However, the sorting in the _left_ pane, where the tree structure is
shown, seems to be (increasing) name order only.

Anyone know if it can be changed?

I don't actually have any need or want to change it; I just wondered.

You can manually reorder it somewhat!

Only by changing names (e. g. by putting _ or numbers before them, as
"123456789" describes), unless you know otherwise!

I just drag-n-drop to arrange things how I want them ordered; - seems that
WE remembers the positions because any time I reopen it the positions
persist as I ordered them. IOW, the tree is CUSTOM ORDERED instead of
sorted by any default means (NOTE: the default sort persists within the
custom ordering of the tree nodes).


I just checked Windows Explorer in 10, 8.1, 7, and XP. None of them allowed
me to drag any of the entries in the left pane. Do you have any custom
software installed, or anything you might have done to enable dragging in
the left pane of WE? I must be missing something obvious, which wouldn't be
the first time.


Ok, I just verified that my experience has been with (and only applies to) the
Child nodes under the *Favorites* node. Anywhere else I want nodes to appear at
the topmost position under a parent node I use the underscore character which,
by default, also follows normal sort order according to the 1st character after
the underscore.

I apologize for causing any misleads!


Thanks for clarifying! I've never found a use for the Favorites feature so
mine is empty. Thus, no dragging for me in there. I'm probably the only one
who was a bit confused.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.