A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » General XP issues or comments
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Win 7 Pro CD?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 17th 19, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Robert in CA
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 519
Default Win 7 Pro CD?

I have a Dell XPS 8500, with Windows 7 Professional, SP1,
with Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes, Avast , Windows Defender
and Windows firewall.

(1) TB HD
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-33-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
Ram 12.0 GB
System type : 64-bit operating system

I also have

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 Tower, with Windows 7 Professional,
SP1, with Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes, Avast , Windows Defender
and Windows firewall.

Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB
Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
System type : 64-bit operating system

and (external hard drives)

(8500)
WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200
RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
Hard Drive

(780)
Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB
Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive


I recently finished completing my backup
system for both computers with includes
(2) PSU's for both, external HD's for both
Win 7 Pro HD for both, and just finished
creating Win 10 HD for both and have a Win
10 CD for creating more.

My question is this, neither computer came
with a Win 7 Pro CD so is it possible with
my 8500 to create one? I have the product key.
I realize I can use Macrium to clone HD's but
I just would like to have it if its possible
and not too much hassle to create.

Thanks,
Robert
Ads
  #2  
Old October 17th 19, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Mike Easter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 914
Default Win 7 Pro CD?

Robert in CA wrote:
My question is this, neither computer came
with a Win 7 Pro CD


Those XPS & Optiplex Dells come w/ a recovery part and utility for
making backup media images.

--
Mike Easter
  #3  
Old October 18th 19, 02:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
No_Name
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 588
Default Win 7 Pro CD?

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 13:46:55 -0700 (PDT), Robert in CA
wrote:

I have a Dell XPS 8500, with Windows 7 Professional, SP1,
with Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes, Avast , Windows Defender
and Windows firewall.

(1) TB HD
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-33-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
Ram 12.0 GB
System type : 64-bit operating system

I also have

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 Tower, with Windows 7 Professional,
SP1, with Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes, Avast , Windows Defender
and Windows firewall.

Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB
Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
System type : 64-bit operating system

and (external hard drives)

(8500)
WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200
RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
Hard Drive

(780)
Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001 2TB 64MB
Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Internal Hard Drive


I recently finished completing my backup
system for both computers with includes
(2) PSU's for both, external HD's for both
Win 7 Pro HD for both, and just finished
creating Win 10 HD for both and have a Win
10 CD for creating more.

My question is this, neither computer came
with a Win 7 Pro CD so is it possible with
my 8500 to create one? I have the product key.
I realize I can use Macrium to clone HD's but
I just would like to have it if its possible
and not too much hassle to create.

Thanks,
Robert


I could just burn you one I guess but these days you can get one with
a key for about $15-20 on Ebay, still in the shrinkwrap.

..
  #4  
Old October 18th 19, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Paul[_32_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,346
Default Win 7 Pro CD?

Mike Easter wrote:
Robert in CA wrote:
My question is this, neither computer came
with a Win 7 Pro CD


Those XPS & Optiplex Dells come w/ a recovery part and utility for
making backup media images.


His Optiplex 780 is a JoySystems-style refurb.

And a few years back, you used to be able to get a
hologram DVD with the Windows 7 Pro Refurbisher on it.
(The person doing the refurbishing, would contact
Microsoft and get DVD+refurbkey, as part of the kit.
Today, the refurbisher goes to the website and only
gets a key, no DVD. They stopped shipping the DVD a number
of years ago.)

I have the DVD.

Since the essence of the DVD, is the .wim or .esd, that's
the part that needs comparison to other available medias,
to see if there is anything special about it. There is
likely nothing about that DVD which is out-of=the-ordinary.

The Heidoc site is now rather hobbled, in its ability to
generate URLs for downloading Windows 7 Pro. So that era
is just about finished. There's not much point in sending
a person to Heidoc today, as the chances of them having
a key to generate a URL, they've probably exhausted them
for this month. And the DigitalRiver downloads stopped
years ago.

I have a Retail Win7 Pro, and I've used the "official" Microsoft
site, to test the download capability. It works. But other
license key types, such as a Dell key, such as a Refurbisher
key, those won't work. The download site rejects attempts
to use those perfectly valid keys, because they're "OEM",
and the OEMs, I don't think they're allowed to offer downloads
either. A bit of a Catch-22 for OEM owners.

So, yeah, it is a bit late in the OS cycle, to be looking
for a Win7 disc :-/

There have been occasions where they end up on a Google Drive
or on archive.org, but it doesn't take long for the
site owner to notice and zap them.

Paul
  #5  
Old October 18th 19, 09:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Robert in CA
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 519
Default Win 7 Pro CD?



So, yeah, it is a bit late in the OS cycle, to be looking
for a Win7 disc :-/

There have been occasions where they end up on a Google Drive
or on archive.org, but it doesn't take long for the
site owner to notice and zap them.

Paul



That's kind of what I thought but
it never hurts to ask. At least I
can still create clones from Macrium.


Thanks,
Robert
  #6  
Old October 18th 19, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Mike Easter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 914
Default Win 7 Pro CD?

Paul wrote:
Mike Easter wrote:
Robert in CA wrote:
My question is this, neither computer came
with a Win 7 Pro CD


Those XPS & Optiplex Dells come w/ a recovery part and utility for
making backup media images.


His Optiplex 780 is a JoySystems-style refurb.

And a few years back, you used to be able to get a
hologram DVD with the Windows 7 Pro Refurbisher on it.
(The person doing the refurbishing, would contact
Microsoft and get DVD+refurbkey, as part of the kit.
Today, the refurbisher goes to the website and only
gets a key, no DVD. They stopped shipping the DVD a number
of years ago.)

I have the DVD.


I bought 2 Joy-refurb Win7 HPs at 2 different times (and different
Win7s); one came w/ a DVD and a recovery part and one came w/ only the
recovery part.

I contacted Joy and asked if they could provide the image, since refurb
keys don't work on images from MS et al.

So, they did. They provided it accessible for dl.

Since the essence of the DVD, is the .wim or .esd, that's
the part that needs comparison to other available medias,
to see if there is anything special about it. There is
likely nothing about that DVD which is out-of=the-ordinary.

The Heidoc site is now rather hobbled, in its ability to
generate URLs for downloading Windows 7 Pro. So that era
is just about finished. There's not much point in sending
a person to Heidoc today, as the chances of them having
a key to generate a URL, they've probably exhausted them
for this month. And the DigitalRiver downloads stopped
years ago.

I have a Retail Win7 Pro, and I've used the "official" Microsoft
site, to test the download capability. It works. But other
license key types, such as a Dell key, such as a Refurbisher
key, those won't work. The download site rejects attempts
to use those perfectly valid keys, because they're "OEM",
and the OEMs, I don't think they're allowed to offer downloads
either. A bit of a Catch-22 for OEM owners.


Yeah.

So, yeah, it is a bit late in the OS cycle, to be looking
for a Win7 disc :-/

There have been occasions where they end up on a Google Drive
or on archive.org, but it doesn't take long for the
site owner to notice and zap them.



--
Mike Easter
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 PCbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.