A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » New Users to Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

problem when upgrading windows xp home edition to xp professional

Old July 17th 04, 10:41 PM
Michael
external usenet poster

Default problem when upgrading windows xp home edition to xp professional

I bought a new computer with windows xp home edition installed on it. I have windows xp professional CD at home. I installed the windows xp professional. When I installed xp professional I have selected the "upgrade" instead of the "install" option as it
should be. It installed xp professional with no problem. Once I finish installing I tried to use my internet that was working on the xp home edition. I was not able to connect. I then tried to make a new connection to re-install my internet. However, some
of the options such as the "dial-up connection" are reccessed (grayed) and are not accessible to select. I did not know what to look for. I took back the computer to the store where I bought it and the technician put a recovery disk of home edition. Then
the dial-up option was accessible in home edition. Then With the hope the problem might be solved I re-installed the Xp professional edition and the dail-up option was again grayed and could not connect to th internet. I put the recovery disk again and I a
m using the home edition now. My computer has visual studio.net, SQL server, visio.net. I am trying to avoid uninstalling all these programs to do the clean install.
Can any one help me how I can upgrade the xp home edition to windows xp professional without facing this internet connection problem?
Your help is very much appreciated.

Ads
Old July 17th 04, 11:41 PM
Mary Sauer
external usenet poster

This article though doesn't address Home vs. Pro, it does have a solution
Dial-Up Networking Connections Do Not Work After Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"Michael" wrote in message
I bought a new computer with windows xp home edition installed on it. I have

windows xp professional CD at home. I installed the windows xp professional. When I
installed xp professional I have selected the "upgrade" instead of the "install"
option as it should be. It installed xp professional with no problem. Once I finish
installing I tried to use my internet that was working on the xp home edition. I was
not able to connect. I then tried to make a new connection to re-install my internet.
However, some of the options such as the "dial-up connection" are reccessed (grayed)
and are not accessible to select. I did not know what to look for. I took back the
computer to the store where I bought it and the technician put a recovery disk of
home edition. Then the dial-up option was accessible in home edition. Then With the
hope the problem might be solved I re-installed the Xp professional edition and the
dail-up option was again grayed and could not connect to th internet. I put the
recovery disk again and I am using the home edition now. My computer has visual
studio.net, SQL server, visio.net. I am trying to avoid uninstalling all these
programs to do the clean install.
Can any one help me how I can upgrade the xp home edition to windows xp

professional without facing this internet connection problem?

Old July 22nd 04, 06:57 PM
Mary Sauer
external usenet poster

This article though doesn't address Home vs. Pro, it does have a solution
Dial-Up Networking Connections Do Not Work After Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
news://msnews.microsoft.com
"Michael" wrote in message
I bought a new computer with windows xp home edition installed on it. I have

windows xp professional CD at home. I installed the windows xp professional. When I
installed xp professional I have selected the "upgrade" instead of the "install"
option as it should be. It installed xp professional with no problem. Once I finish
installing I tried to use my internet that was working on the xp home edition. I was
not able to connect. I then tried to make a new connection to re-install my internet.
However, some of the options such as the "dial-up connection" are reccessed (grayed)
and are not accessible to select. I did not know what to look for. I took back the
computer to the store where I bought it and the technician put a recovery disk of
home edition. Then the dial-up option was accessible in home edition. Then With the
hope the problem might be solved I re-installed the Xp professional edition and the
dail-up option was again grayed and could not connect to th internet. I put the
recovery disk again and I am using the home edition now. My computer has visual
studio.net, SQL server, visio.net. I am trying to avoid uninstalling all these
programs to do the clean install.
Can any one help me how I can upgrade the xp home edition to windows xp

professional without facing this internet connection problem?