A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » General XP issues or comments
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Remote Assistance connection could not be established ... remote host name could not be resolved

Old August 19th 04, 04:20 AM
Peter Sale
external usenet poster

Default Remote Assistance connection could not be established ... remote host name could not be resolved

Environment includes
1. Adelphia broadband internet access
2. D-Link Wireless Router with D-link DWL-G650 wireless PCMCIA card
3. Windows XP Pro firewall is disabled (using firewall in router instead)
4. My machine is running Windows XP Pro
5. Machine I am attempting to request remote assistance from is
1. Also connected to Internet via some sort of broadband, just not Adelphia
2. Also connected via wireless broadband router (Linksys) and built-in 802.11b (a notebook)
3. Also running Windows XP Pro

Yesterday she requested Remote Assistance of me via Windows Messenger 4.7, and it worked fine. Today both her and my attempts to request Remote Assistance via Windows Messenger fail, displaying the following message:

"Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again."

I have forwarded port 3389 in my router via the instructions at http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di-624.htm. My remote associate has forwarded port 3389 on her Linksys WRT54G via the instructions at http://www.portforward.com/linksys/w...forwarding.htm. We have confirmed the correct IP address to be used for this port forwarding configuration by issuing IPCONFIG on our respective Windows XP machines. That is, the value displayed by IPCONFIG, when issued on each of our machines, for the "IP Address ..." is the IP address we each use for port forwarding.

Is there anyone out there for whom Remote Assistance consistently works just fine who would also be willing to allow me to request Remote Assistance of them? Failing that, is there any other product that does what Remote Assistance promises to do, and actually works?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

Ads