A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Hardware and Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Stop errors at boot up

Old September 5th 06, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
RoseW
external usenet poster

Default Stop errors at boot up

This is an intermittent incident. One morning the machine will start flawlessly. The
next day there will be two or sometimes three retries to get past the moving colour
bar and into Windows. I unchecked the 'auto restart' to begin collecting the variety
of stop errors. The same error doesn't repeat. If I leave the screen at Start Windows
Normally....it does. It operates very well for the day. Then there is the 'What will
happen today' moment.

Aug.11 new harddrive, new install and the following Tuesday an internal card reader
was installed. Following that the external drive would not read off the front usb
port and the reboots started which included 0X 0000008E The machine went back to have
Ram checked, hardware checked but he could find no error. I took the keyboard in to
join my wireless mouse(HID-compliant mouse) and external drive. He booted it up and
BINGO it rebooted but nothing could be found.

Now I'm up to 0x00000000A Irq_Not Less or Equal (0x0520011 0x0000002 0x0000000
0x804510FA) I went into Safe Mode, could find nothing out of order -restarted and it
started properly. Checked the registry with Regseeker and there are a number of
unused file association endings and orphan links (from moving things in the start
menu) There are a couple of ActiveX references that were listed as no path or
inaccurate. I didn't do anything with these for I'm not sure what they are.

The external drive will now not read off the front usb port but it will read off one
of the group of 4 at the rear of the machine.
There is a plastic covered casing over a a group of red, black white wires running
from the internal 4 bay card reader to the mother board and there is no product name.
A Belarc report labels it as USB2.0 CardReader CF RW USB Device[Hard drive]

One user -Machine statistics AMinc K7S41GX1.0 PI.40 02/05/2004 2 G Amd Athlon Xp
1023M Memory XpHome Sp2 (build 2600) NTFS on 80G(partitioned) and Fat32 on 30G
Sis 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (2x) Sis PCI to USB Enhanced Host
Controller USB Root Hub(3x) Nvidia video controller -which has 6.14.105673 in the
properties box but in the registry a number 5.6.7.3 so I'm not sure what version was
installed with the new setup.
Machine is on D-Link router and Xp firewall, AVG virus and the usual anti spam
prevention. All scans come up clean.

Nothing is showing up in the Event viewer. The userenv error has been constant and I
just installed the uphclean which deals with that error.

Do I suggest to the vendor/repair person to remove the internal card reader or what?
Rose

Ads