A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Performance and Maintainance of XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

tools for windows xp failure

Old October 25th 06, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Dee
external usenet poster

Default tools for windows xp failure

Alec,

I get as far as the window that has 24. Login for the first time (see this
page)

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp

The only problem is there are no logins and there should be two, there is no
turn the system off, there in no writing in white at the bottom. Mine only
has the windows xp and the color boxes and never goes any further.

Dee

"Alec S." wrote:

"Dee" wrote in message ...
So it gets past the splash screen (the black one). The light-blue-with-dark-blue-bars-at-top-and-bottom screen is a pre-boot
screen where Windows performs tasks that cannot be done while booted (usually file operations that involve system or other files
that are in use). What does it say on that screen (in white text)? Does it change at all?

In white it just says Microsoft Windows XP, just like it does on the box
with the colored squares.

You mean this: http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/9104/autochk8yv.jpg right? That's where it hangs? What about this one:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/images/X...Graphic/OO.gif, it gets past this right? It also passes this one right?
http://content.answers.com/main/cont...ingdrivers.jpg

0 - Boot into 2003 and use fsutil on your drives: Run-cmd.exe-fsutil dirty query c:\, fsutil dirty query d:\, etc. Check them
all. Are any still dirty?

I ran this on all partitions and none were dirty.

That's normally a good thing, but in this case.

1 - Rename c:\windows\system32\autochk.exe to autochk.ex_ This way, Windows won't be able to run the drive scanning utility and
will bypass it. (Don't forget to rename it back if you get in.)

Stilll could not get in. I let sit site for 1/2 hour.

So it's not a scan disk problem.

When my system is first booting up I can see the acpi controller is IRQ 9.

That's normal. Why would you think otherwise? Is there a message or something?

2 - Clear the bit manually (not pretty).

How can this been done.

It doesn't matter. If it's not scandisk that's causing a loop, then it won't change anything (it's already clear.)

I don't suppose you could record a little video of the boot process to show what happens when it gets stuck could you?

I could take a video of the process, but for some reason I have a hard time
trying to send anything to news via IE even on windows 2003. I think it may
be because I use yahoo as my email address and do not have it set up
correctly.

Don't post it to the newsgroup, post it to imageshack.us, photobucket, etc. then post the link.

--
Alec S.
news/alec-synetech/cjb/net

Ads
Old October 26th 06, 12:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Alec S.
external usenet poster

"Dee" wrote in message news
page)

Ah, I see; very interesting.

Are you sure it's that same screen? Does the screen where you get stuck have the little highlight in the top left? What about the
white vertical line? "To begin, click your user name"? If so, then there's something messed up with a system file.

Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete two times to bring up the classic login screen. (That might not work though since it may have been
removed already, and even if it hasn't, it only works under certain circumstances which you cannot create right now.)

Have you used any mods/customizations? Have you changed the bootscreen or login screen with different graphics? You could try
restoring the files responsible for the login from CD. Let's see, you'll want to restore msgina.dll, logonui.exe, logoos.exe, (can
anyone think of any others?)

--
Alec S.

Old October 26th 06, 01:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Dee
external usenet poster

"Alec S." wrote:

page)

Ah, I see; very interesting.

Are you sure it's that same screen? Does the screen where you get stuck have the little highlight in the top left? What about the
white vertical line?

The answer is yes to both of the questions above, the problem is there are
no login, so I can not login. I can not click my name.

"To begin, click your user name"? If so, then there's something messed up
with a system file.

Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete two times to bring up the classic login screen. (That might not work though since it may have been
removed already, and even if it hasn't, it only works under certain circumstances which you cannot create right now.)

That did not work.

Have you used any mods/customizations? Have you changed the bootscreen or login screen with different graphics?

When I first set the system up last year about this time I made the two
logins different, one is a motocyle and mine is a butterfly. I never changed
them afterwards.

You could try
restoring the files responsible for the login from CD. Let's see, you'll want to restore msgina.dll, logonui.exe, logoos.exe, (can

Should I try this now?

Dee

--
Alec S.

Old October 26th 06, 02:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Alec S.
external usenet poster

"Alec S." wrote:
Have you used any mods/customizations? Have you changed the bootscreen or login screen with different graphics?

them afterwards.

I meant customizations to change the look of the bootscreen or login screen, not user accounts. Since you didn't know what I was
talking about, I'll assume you didn't.

Even if your accounts were wiped out somehow, then the shutdown options should still have been there, so the system files are messed
up, it's not just an account problem.

You could try restoring the files responsible for the login from CD. Let's see, you'll want to restore msgina.dll, logonui.exe,

logoos.exe, (can

Should I try this now?

You may as well, it sounds like your integral system files (parts of the OS kernel!) have become damaged/corrupted/infected/etc.
somehow, so you're really close to having no choice but to reinstall.

Is your XP CD Gold, SP1, or SP2? What about the XP installation that you were running, what was that? You'll need to match the
versions of the files you restore to the version you are trying to fix. The easiest way is to just use cache, either
servicepackfiles\i386 or system32\dllcache depending on whether or not you had to upgrade to the service pack you are using; use the
ones in servicepackfiles if it exists, otherwise use dllcache:

Boot into 2003
Run-cmd.exe
Type:
c:
cd c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 ***OR*** cd c:\windows\system32\dllcache
expand msgina.dl_ c:\windows\system32\msgina.dll
expand logonui.ex_ c:\windows\system32\logonui.exe
exit
Reboot

--
Alec S.

Old October 26th 06, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Dee
external usenet poster

"Alec S." wrote:

"Alec S." wrote:

them afterwards.

I meant customizations to change the look of the bootscreen or login screen, not user accounts. Since you didn't know what I was
talking about, I'll assume you didn't.

Even if your accounts were wiped out somehow, then the shutdown options should still have been there, so the system files are messed
up, it's not just an account problem.

You could try restoring the files responsible for the login from CD. Let's see, you'll want to restore msgina.dll, logonui.exe,

logoos.exe, (can

Should I try this now?

I did try it and the msgina.dll gave me an error, so I have to do a repair
install again and I am still getting to the same screen.

You may as well, it sounds like your integral system files (parts of the OS kernel!) have become damaged/corrupted/infected/etc.
somehow, so you're really close to having no choice but to reinstall.

Is your XP CD Gold, SP1, or SP2? What about the XP installation that you were running, what was that?

My CD is Windows XP SP2, I did not download the service packs. I have
Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Pro SP1 and Windows XP Pro SP2. My company buys
them.

You'll need to match the
versions of the files you restore to the version you are trying to fix. The easiest way is to just use cache, either
servicepackfiles\i386 or system32\dllcache depending on whether or not you had to upgrade to the service pack you are using; use the
ones in servicepackfiles if it exists, otherwise use dllcache:

Boot into 2003
Run-cmd.exe
Type:
c:
cd c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 ***OR*** cd c:\windows\system32\dllcache
exit
Reboot

On these I get a message that it can not open these files. I think one
reason is because they are not *.dl_ or *.exe, they are *.dll and *.exe

Dee

--
Alec S.

Old October 26th 06, 06:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Alec S.
external usenet poster

Oops, right. They are *.??_ on the CD, and you would use expand on those (X:\i386\msgina.dl_ and X:\i386\logonui.ex_). You can
simply copy them from C:\Windows\System32\DllCache to C:\Windows\System32.

--
Alec S.

Old October 26th 06, 12:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Dee
external usenet poster

That did not work. To me if just looks like the logins are missing. Is
there any way to create new a new login without reinstalling?

If I have to reinstall, can you restore the back up that I made not long
after having this problem, or will it make the problem appear again.

Dee

"Alec S." wrote:

Oops, right. They are *.??_ on the CD, and you would use expand on those (X:\i386\msgina.dl_ and X:\i386\logonui.ex_). You can

--
Alec S.

Old October 26th 06, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Dee
external usenet poster

Alec,

Can you give me the steps to make windows automatically login without the
two logins I have?

Dee

"Dee" wrote:

That did not work. To me if just looks like the logins are missing. Is
there any way to create new a new login without reinstalling?

Dee

"Alec S." wrote:

--
Alec S.

Old October 26th 06, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Alec S.
external usenet poster

Yes of course, the files are bad, so if you restore them, it will be bad again.

To me if just looks like the logins are missing.

Like I said, it's not just that the logins are missing, because even if there were no accounts on the system, the shutdown options,
the text, the graphics, etc. would all still be there, just no logins. You are missing a lot of the display though, parts that are
built into loginui.exe!

Can you give me the steps to make windows automatically login without the two logins I have?

You mean without the two logins you added, and without the administrator account that was already there, and without any
supplimentary accounts that invariably get added? Sure, boot into Windows XP, use TweakUI to set the autologin information under
the Login section. Oh, wait, you can't boot XP.

You could boot 2003, then mount the XP registry and add the setting manually, but autologin does not BYPASS login, it just
automatically logs into one of the accounts. If the accounts are missing, then there is nothing to autologin to.

Is there any way to create new a new login without reinstalling?

No, you would need to boot into Windows to do it; you can't boot so you can't run the tool. You cannot add the registry entries
manually to a mounted XP registry while in 2003. (Technically, you may be able to, but I highly doubt that would be in any way
practical, even if it were possible.)

Your best bet is to restore the files. When you installed the IE7 beta, it messed things up pretty bad. Chances are that even
restoring from your system cache is no good since the IE7 installer probably overwrote them; you'll need to restore from the CD.
Since things are really messed up already and you've got a back up, you stand little to lose, so you may as well. Here's the steps
should you decide to give it a go.

* Boot 2003.
* Insert XP cd (let's say it's drive Z).
* Open a command prompt (Run-cmd.exe).
* Type:
c:
for %i in (c:\windows c:\windows\system32) do for %j in (%i\*.*) do if exist z:\i386\%~nxj (copy /y z:\i386\%~nxj %i) else
(if exist z:\i386\%~nj.*_ expand z:\i386\%~nj.*_ %j) c:\restore.log

That will restore the system files directly from the CD. You'll want to check C:\restore.log for any errors.

--
Alec S.

for %h in (c:\windows c:\windows\system32) do for %i in (ex dl sy dr oc) do for %j in (%h\*.%i*) do if exist z:\i386\%~nxj
(copy /y z:\i386\%~nxj %h) else (if exist z:\i386\%~nj.%i_ expand z:\i386\%~nj.%i_ %j) c:\restore.log

Old October 26th 06, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Dee
external usenet poster

"Alec S." wrote:

Yes of course, the files are bad, so if you restore them, it will be bad again.

To me if just looks like the logins are missing.

Like I said, it's not just that the logins are missing, because even if there were no accounts on the system, the shutdown options,
the text, the graphics, etc. would all still be there, just no logins. You are missing a lot of the display though, parts that are
built into loginui.exe!

Can you give me the steps to make windows automatically login without the two logins I have?

You mean without the two logins you added, and without the administrator account that was already there, and without any
supplimentary accounts that invariably get added? Sure, boot into Windows XP, use TweakUI to set the autologin information under
the Login section. Oh, wait, you can't boot XP.

You could boot 2003, then mount the XP registry and add the setting manually, but autologin does not BYPASS login, it just
automatically logs into one of the accounts. If the accounts are missing, then there is nothing to autologin to.

Is there any way to create new a new login without reinstalling?

No, you would need to boot into Windows to do it; you can't boot so you can't run the tool. You cannot add the registry entries
manually to a mounted XP registry while in 2003. (Technically, you may be able to, but I highly doubt that would be in any way
practical, even if it were possible.)

Your best bet is to restore the files. When you installed the IE7 beta, it messed things up pretty bad. Chances are that even
restoring from your system cache is no good since the IE7 installer probably overwrote them; you'll need to restore from the CD.
Since things are really messed up already and you've got a back up, you stand little to lose, so you may as well. Here's the steps
should you decide to give it a go.

* Boot 2003.
* Insert XP cd (let's say it's drive Z).

Mine is K

* Open a command prompt (Run-cmd.exe).
* Type:
c:
for %i in (c:\windows c:\windows\system32) do for %j in (%i\*.*) do if exist z:\i386\%~nxj (copy /y z:\i386\%~nxj %i) else

The syntax of the command is incorrect. ---- is what I am getting right here

(if exist z:\i386\%~nj.*_ expand z:\i386\%~nj.*_ %j) c:\restore.log

That will restore the system files directly from the CD. You'll want to check C:\restore.log for any errors.

--
Alec S.

for %h in (c:\windows c:\windows\system32) do for %i in (ex dl sy dr oc) do for %j in (%h\*.%i*) do if exist z:\i386\%~nxj
(copy /y z:\i386\%~nxj %h) else (if exist z:\i386\%~nj.%i_ expand z:\i386\%~nj.%i_ %j) c:\restore.log

Old October 26th 06, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Alec S.
external usenet poster

for %i in (c:\windows c:\windows\system32) do for %j in (%i\*.*) do if exist K:\i386\%~nxj (copy /y K:\i386\%~nxj %i) else (if exist
K:\i386\%~nj.*_ expand K:\i386\%~nj.*_ %j) c:\restore.log

It's all one line. Copy the whole line from the message then paste it in the command prompt by pressing Alt+Space, E, P.

--
Alec S.

Old October 26th 06, 07:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Dee
external usenet poster

I did a copy into a text file and then copied it on the command line. It
seemed to work like a charm. The report.log had 0, so I booted to windows xp
sp2. The graphics looks horrible, all coloring is off and it still does not
get to a log in.

I will wait till I hear back from you, but look like I should just do a
fresh install. What do you think?

Then try the restore with the back up. Again what do you think?

If this messes up I can do a fresh install again and try to reinstall what I
can. Again what do you think?

I know you are sick of me by now, but I really appreciate all you patience
and help and you have been great.

Dee

"Alec S." wrote:

for %i in (c:\windows c:\windows\system32) do for %j in (%i\*.*) do if exist K:\i386\%~nxj (copy /y K:\i386\%~nxj %i) else (if exist
K:\i386\%~nj.*_ expand K:\i386\%~nj.*_ %j) c:\restore.log

It's all one line. Copy the whole line from the message then paste it in the command prompt by pressing Alt+Space, E, P.

--
Alec S.

Old October 26th 06, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Alec S.
external usenet poster

I did a copy into a text file and then copied it on the command line. It
seemed to work like a charm. The report.log had 0, so I booted to windows xp
sp2. The graphics looks horrible, all coloring is off and it still does not
get to a log in.

Graphics look horrible? How so? Perhaps you got a virus or something which messed up the core system so badly, that even restoring
the original ones doesn't help because they no longer match.

I will wait till I hear back from you, but look like I should just do a
fresh install. What do you think?

Looks like you might have to at this point. If none of the other things helped (including the restoration of all of the system
files), then there's really no other opiton. You may have been right at the start about your registry; it is probably completely
munged.

Then try the restore with the back up. Again what do you think?

If this messes up I can do a fresh install again and try to reinstall what I
can. Again what do you think?

If you copy the bad files over the new installation, it will just mangle the new installation.

What you can do however is to do a fresh install, then selectively copy stuff from your backup of Documents and Settings (there's a
reason it's called that). Don't just copy the whole thing, copy the files and folders one at a time, creating a backup of the
default somewhere else so that you can make sure that the old settings you are restoring are good.

Most of your application settings (especially those of bigger apps like Adobe, Microsoft, etc.) are stored in there, as opposed to
in the registry, INI files, etc. (user preferences are located in "Documents and Settings\%username%\Application
Data\COMPANY\SOFTWARE", while global settings are located in "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\COMPANY\SOFTWARE").

I can give you some more detail on restoring later today.

I know you are sick of me by now, but I really appreciate all you patience and help and you have been great.

Don't worry about it, what I'm sick of is that your problem couldn't be fixed.

--
Alec S.