A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Windows XP Help and Support
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Desktop icons changed to basic icon

Old October 21st 05, 06:53 AM

First recorded activity by PCbanter: Oct 2005
Default Desktop icons changed to basic icon

I have a laptop running windows xp pro. This morning when I booted up my laptop, I discovered all my desktop icons except, My Documents, Recycle Bin, Adobe Acrobat, have benn changed to the Basic icons.
When I click on any of them, I get a window informing me that Windows is unable to open the file, and I have a choise of searching for the file extentions on the web or on my laptop. The icons in the Start - Programs - and subgroups have also changed to the basic icons and are unresponsive.
I also cannot access the System Restore as it too has lost the file extention.
I know that there are no viruses in my laptop as I have uptodate antivirus cover with Nortons Antivirus.
I have also tried to boot my laptop in Safe Mode and to try the System Restore, but with no avail.
Would appreciate any advice out there, as I am not looking forward to reinstalling the Op Ststem.

Param
Ads