A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Security and Administration with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Power users can see administrators?

Old April 5th 06, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
external usenet poster

Default Power users can see administrators?

If you want to hide your personal files (if your an adminsitrator), from
peeping eyes of any limited user/ power user, than open "My Computer." RIGHT
CLICK on the administrative account and RIGHT CLICK the file. Click on the
"sharing" tab and tick the "Make the folder private!" I HOPE THIS ANSWERS
YOUR QUESTION!

"Zhenxin Li" wrote:

Hello,

I notice that power users can browse who are administrator accounts by default. Is there a security policy option to disable this behavior? I need most of the power user's rights, but don't want this account knows anything about the higher level accounts.

Best regards,
Zhenxin Li

Ads
Old April 6th 06, 05:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
external usenet poster

Where is this happenening - on the local computer or in Active Directory?? --- Steve

"Zhenxin Li" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I notice that power users can browse who are administrator accounts by default. Is there a security policy option to disable this behavior? I need most of the power user's rights, but don't want this account knows anything about the higher level accounts.

Best regards,
Zhenxin Li
Old April 6th 06, 02:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
external usenet poster

Hello,

Best regards,
Zhenxin Li
Old April 7th 06, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
external usenet poster

Well that would be hard to do. Any user can run the command net localgroup administrators to see members of administrators group. What you must do is to make sure that the local administrators use strong passwords so that other users can not guess. You can use local Group Policy [gpedit.msc] or the Shared Computer Toolkit to try and restrict users from accessing Control Panel, the command prompt, net.exe, the registry, mmc snapins, etc. The Shared Computer Toolkit generally works better on non domain computers because local Group Policy applies to ALL local computer users including administrators unless you hack permissions to the \windows\system32\group policy\user folder which also cause the admis not to be able to manage local Group Policy. --- Steve
In "Control Panel --- Administrative Tools --- Computer Management --- Local Users and Groups" console.
"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message . ..
Where is this happenening - on the local computer or in Active Directory?? --- Steve

Hello,

Best regards,
Zhenxin Li
Old April 7th 06, 04:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
external usenet poster

That is why some admins rename the administrator account though that is only effective for some types of attacks because the built in administrator account is a well known SID that can not be changed. Properly configured firewalls will make sure that users on untrusted networks will not be able to enumerate users and groups. For high security within a network admins often can only logon via a smart card. --- Steve
Hmmm, it's really stupid to expose the admin account name to the world. At least, there should be an option to protect the name. Thank you!
"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message ...
Well that would be hard to do. Any user can run the command net localgroup administrators to see members of administrators group. What you must do is to make sure that the local administrators use strong passwords so that other users can not guess. You can use local Group Policy [gpedit.msc] or the Shared Computer Toolkit to try and restrict users from accessing Control Panel, the command prompt, net.exe, the registry, mmc snapins, etc. The Shared Computer Toolkit generally works better on non domain computers because local Group Policy applies to ALL local computer users including administrators unless you hack permissions to the \windows\system32\group policy\user folder which also cause the admis not to be able to manage local Group Policy. --- Steve
In "Control Panel --- Administrative Tools --- Computer Management --- Local Users and Groups" console.

Hello,

Best regards,
Zhenxin Li
Old April 7th 06, 09:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
external usenet poster

Hello,

Best regards,
Zhenxin Li
Old April 7th 06, 09:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
external usenet poster

Thanks! But I think this is not my problem.

In "Control Panel --- Administrative Tools --- Computer Management --- Local
Users and Groups" console, power users can see who are administrator
accounts. I want to hide everything about the admin accounts to lower rights
users, including the names of the admin accounts.

"ETLCS" wrote in message
If you want to hide your personal files (if your an adminsitrator), from
peeping eyes of any limited user/ power user, than open "My Computer."
RIGHT
CLICK on the administrative account and RIGHT CLICK the file. Click on
the
"sharing" tab and tick the "Make the folder private!" I HOPE THIS ANSWERS
YOUR QUESTION!

"Zhenxin Li" wrote:

Hello,

I notice that power users can browse who are administrator accounts by
default. Is there a security policy option to disable this behavior? I
need most of the power user's rights, but don't want this account knows
anything about the higher level accounts.

Best regards,
Zhenxin Li

Old April 8th 06, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
external usenet poster

Hmmm, it's really stupid to expose the admin account name to the world. At least, there should be an option to protect the name. Thank you!
"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message ...

Hello,

Best regards,
Zhenxin Li