A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Locking up only when on Internet Explorer

Old March 5th 04, 06:46 PM
external usenet poster

Default Locking up only when on Internet Explorer

Xref: kermit microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web:190131

Im running Broadband cable modem and Windows XP Pro. The system itself works fine but when I have Internet Explorer open, after surfing for a 1/2 hr or so the system just totally locks up and I have to powercycle it. Im up to dates with updates any ideas
Ads
Old March 5th 04, 07:02 PM
Quaoar
external usenet poster

Guest wrote:
Im running Broadband cable modem and Windows XP Pro. The system
itself works fine but when I have Internet Explorer open, after
surfing for a 1/2 hr or so the system just totally locks up and I
have to powercycle it. Im up to dates with updates any ideas

Check Event View logs for any red errors, not necessarily at the time of
lockup, but repeating errors. Lockups are typically attributed to RAM,
power supply, cooling problems, video adapter. Do a complete virus
scan, and also run either or both of SpyBot and Ad-Aware. Try to
remember what apps you have installed recently, perhaps one is
responsible. Check the startups in Run command/type:
msconfig..[enter]/select Startup Tab. Use this site as a guide for
startup functions and uncheck the box in the startup section to disable:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php. Open the main
application and disable the startup from its preferences to permanently
prevent the app from running.

Q

Old March 5th 04, 07:44 PM
external usenet poster

I have reinstalled XP PRO and put a new stick of ram in the system. The system also a has an extra cooling fan. I guess I will try and new video card.
Old April 28th 04, 02:46 AM
andrew
external usenet poster

i have the same problem yesterday, you can try to open internet option, under security , just set it to the lowest security setting, you should get the connection back although its hanging.
i found this is a browser hang, coz my yahoo massager still working while the browser hang.
Old April 28th 04, 09:54 AM
andrew
external usenet poster

i have the same problem yesterday, you can try to open internet option, under security , just set it to the lowest security setting, you should get the connection back although its hanging.
i found this is a browser hang, coz my yahoo massager still working while the browser hang.
Old April 28th 04, 11:01 AM
andrew
external usenet poster

Old April 28th 04, 11:23 AM
andrew
external usenet poster

Old April 28th 04, 03:47 PM
andrew
external usenet poster

Old April 28th 04, 03:50 PM
andrew
external usenet poster

Old April 28th 04, 03:50 PM
andrew
external usenet poster

Old April 28th 04, 04:03 PM
andrew
external usenet poster