A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Networking and the Internet with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Network printer acting up

Old March 8th 12, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
PioneerT
external usenet poster

Default Network printer acting up

printer is on Win7 Home Prem 64, my notebook is WinXp Home sp3. Printer has been working fine for years, last week I "Renamed" my notebook and since then whenever my notebook sleeps or restarts I can't print from the default printer. the only fix is restarting my main PC with the printer attached. I have reinstalled the drivers, tried a few tricks I read about (renaming the PrintShare, then naming it back) whats weird is the printer shows in Printers and Faxes as Ready but won't even print a test. I'm sure it has to do with me renaming my Notebook but need a fix (Computer Name/Workgroup)
Ads
Old March 8th 12, 01:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
edfair[_44_]
external usenet poster

Have generally found that the best way is to rip everything out of both
computers then reinstall the printer as standalone first, then share,
then network.

IIRC there have been issues even then and it was resolved by selecting
local print on the XP but pointing to the shared printer in the port
choice window.

In whatever case, it isn't pretty.

Old May 15th 12, 01:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
Yousuf Khan[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 07/03/2012 8:51 PM, PioneerT wrote:
printer is on Win7 Home Prem 64, my notebook is WinXp Home sp3. Printer has been working fine for years, last week I "Renamed" my notebook and since then whenever my notebook sleeps or restarts I can't print from the default printer. the only fix is restarting my main PC with the printer attached. I have reinstalled the drivers, tried a few tricks I read about (renaming the PrintShare, then naming it back) whats weird is the printer shows in Printers and Faxes as Ready but won't even print a test. I'm sure it has to do with me renaming my Notebook but need a fix (Computer Name/Workgroup)

Have you tried deleting the printer from your XP laptop, and
reinstalling from scratch?

Yousuf Khan