A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Microsoft Messenger
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

windows messenger pop up

Old January 12th 04, 11:42 PM
agilitygrandma
external usenet poster

Default windows messenger pop up

I never use windows messenger, it's just there on the computer. Now, every time I go onto the internet, I get a pop up that says "Windows Messenger" at the top and then "A newer version is available. You must install the newer version in order to conti
nue. Would you like to do this now?" I click on No because I don't use Windows Messenger and don't want to have any version, let alone a newer version! But I'm not competant enough to try to delete anything from my compter because I'm afraid I'll mes
s something up, so I havent' deleted Windows Messenger! All I want to do is get rid of this stupid pop up that is there every time I connect! Can someone please help me!
Ads
Old January 12th 04, 11:42 PM
Jonathan Kay [MVP]
external usenet poster

Default windows messenger pop up

Greetings,

Firstly, remove your saved Passport login in Windows XP, so it can't automatically sign you
in to the service (you can readd this back in the future if you like), click the Start
Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select
your account name, and then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click
'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport)
entry and click 'Remove'.

Then, do you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed? Norton added a new "instant messaging
scanning" feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can conflict with Messenger and cause some
of this behavior. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon
in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click
Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.

If the window is still open with the upgrade question, say No, it should now stop trying.

Then open up Windows Messenger (click Start, then click Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
choose the Tools menu, then Options, then Preferences tab, uncheck 'Run this Program when
Windows starts' and click OK. Then right-click on its icon in the notification area/system
tray (by the clock) and click Exit. It shouldn't bother you again.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

"agilitygrandma" kblumer(remove wrote in message
I never use windows messenger, it's just there on the computer. Now, every time I go onto
the internet, I get a pop up that says "Windows Messenger" at the top and then "A newer
version is available. You must install the newer version in order to continue. Would you
like to do this now?" I click on No because I don't use Windows Messenger and don't want
to have any version, let alone a newer version! But I'm not competant enough to try to
delete anything from my compter because I'm afraid I'll mess something up, so I havent'
deleted Windows Messenger! All I want to do is get rid of this stupid pop up that is there
every time I connect! Can someone please help me!