A Windows XP help forum. PCbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PCbanter forum » Microsoft Windows XP » Printing and Faxing with Windows XP
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

XP Home Fax utility

Old May 21st 04, 10:14 AM
KAZ
external usenet poster

Default XP Home Fax utility

Hi I used to use the fax utility in xp home combined with my ordinary modem which is used for a standard dial up connection, with out any problems at all even running it through the ISDN connection I had put on later. ISDN treated this as if it was simply
using the second ISDN line as you would to make a phone call while still connected to the internet simply just dropping the connection speed down to half while the line was in use. For one reason or another and possibly due to settings which where changed
when setting up a network or access point through this system, I have now not only lost the abilty to use the fax even as a stand alone system disconected from that network or access point, but I can not even get windows to reinstall my fax utility using
add remove, or any other method I can think off to reinstall it. It does have an Icon on the desk top, but when ever I attempt to open the fax utility I get an error message that relates to not having a windows shared fax driver. I am no longer conected
to any network or is this pc hosting any access point any longer appart from the internet connection and I really need to get my fax facility working as it used to before I made any of those alterations or changes related to networking or access points f
or a wireless laptop.
It is almost as if something has corrupted the system and it wont even allow me to reinstall the utility even though this PC is now stand alone. I realise I need an anologue modem which I have and used quiet well through the ISDN connection before any of
these things where altered or changed and I have no idea if I have mucked something up or checked some where in a box that is allowing the Fax utility to think it has to be shared over a network, I dont even know where to look to check something like that.
I am no longer networked and I cant seem to get this to recogise that the system is stand alone and is not trying to share a fax facility which I also realise xp home does not the ability to do when networked. I cant even get the facility to open or all
ow me into its settings etc.

Can any one help or point me in the right direction of where to start looking to sort this mess out?

Cheers
Kaz
Ads